• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the frame limit in adobe animate?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i'm planning an animation but i would like to know how long my limit is.
I've looked everywhere and can't find the answer. What is the frame limit on adobe animation?

thanks for any help,

Rose

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

It's 16,000 frames, but there are ways to make a longer animation if you use a small amount of code. At 24 fps that's just over 11 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 16,000 frames, but there are ways to make a longer animation if you use a small amount of code. At 24 fps that's just over 11 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh really? that's fantastic! thats more than enough thank you very much X3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're joking. i'm very mad at adobe for this because I have a video to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long will the video be? Do you plan on making the video without using a video editor?

I can describe how to get very long videos (up to 123 days in length), but it would be good to know what the real length of the video will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use 30 fpm, about 8 minutes. I find myself often needing to makde movie-part-01.fla and movie-part-02.fla, etc. because I need to go 10 or 11 minutes. Hate it. What's your secret code?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave a long reply on Feb 27th 2021. That shows the code you could put at the end of a movieclip that is up to 16000 frames long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best practice is to NEVER have an entire animation upwards or over 11 minutes in a single file. I've worked on several animated TV shows at 22 minutes each but we broke each episode down to between 10 seconds to 60 seconds. We export each file to video and assemble in Premiere Pro or similar video editor.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need about 2 hours (or probably less) of animation (thats around 172.200 frames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of media that would go into 2 hours of animation could lead to other issues. You might want to have one "movie scene" per FLA, then combine them in a video editor.

But, if there is a reason to have it be one animation in one FLA, you can use this approach (make sure you are working in an ActionScript 3.0 FLA):

Put an empty MovieClip into frame 1. Go into the MovieClip and make your first 16000 frames of the animation. It need not be exactly that amount, you would most likely end the animation at a sensible point.

Put another MovieClip into frame 2 of the main timeline. Go into that one and make another 16000 frames of animation.

For 172k frames you would only need 11 MovieClips like that, taking up frames 1 to 11 of the main timeline, and each one has up to 16000 frames in it.

Make the last frame of each MovieClip's timeline have a keyframe in one layer. Select that keyframe and in the Actions panel put this script:

MovieClip(this.parent).gotoAndStop(MovieClip(this.parent).currentFrame+1);

In the first frame of the main timeline, put stop(); into the Actions panel, so that it doesn't run through the 11 frames right away. Also put stop(); in a keyframe in the last frame of the last MovieClip, instead of the other script that would make it jump on to the next frame in the main timeline.

That should then animate through all 11 MovieClips, one after the other, and will take as long as all of the frames combined.

To export that to video, use the time values in the export dialog, not the frame ones. For example, this would export video that was 1 hour 58 minutes and 45 seconds long:

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 12.35.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

I am fairly new to using adobe animate. I am trying to create a frame by frame animation of 661 PNG sequence...what do u mean by empty movie clip?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For only 661 frames you need not worry about the workaround I gave. If you did need to do what I was saying, you can go into the Library and right-click, New Symbol... and make a MovieClip. That would put you into the timeline of the new MovieClip, and you could add your images then drag the MovieClip to the main timeline, into frame 1.

But as I said, I don't think you will need to do that. You can make your animation in the main timeline without needing MovieClips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

So, I have a question. I want to make my animation in 60fps sync with a music, which is about 4 ~ 5 minutes long. I calculated the amount of frames needed and it's about over 17000 frames. Does this method still works with this condition? If it works then, can you demonstrate the 'Go in the MovieCilp' part for me please? I'm confused.

(I work in ActionScript 3.0 by the way)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the code solution for using multiple movieclips AND sync'g with sound, is not given in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sound you would need to edit the sound so that each MovieClip had its part of the overall sound. For exporting to video the sound could be set to Event, if setting it to Stream causes problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let's continue on the recently started thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still true? It's been a minute since someone posted in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bro its been more then a minute

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines