• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the deal with some animators using older Flash instead of alternatives or Animate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I know this is off topic but I've seen some YouTubers including UnknownSpy, Winshard, Exit73Studios, and other stick figure community (like Hyun Dojo) using older flash versions instead of using Adobe Animate or some alternatives like Toon Boom and Opentoonz, despite being told that they want them to use newer software for features, I know it's just their preference.

I've seen Hyun Dojo community praising Flash MX or Flash 8 for how fun the UI it was, being stable, etc., despite being told that it cannot support Windows 10 when it actually is.

I understand people used Flash for valid reasons but I'm curious how they mastered it for some reason.

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Animate is in a state of perpetual beta at best, with many features released at alpha stage, ill-designed and poorly implemented, in conflict with existing workflows.

It is drowning in bugs and has huge performance and stability issues.

The new UI is unbalanced, bloated and utterly unpleasant to use.

Flash, on the contrary, was a finished product. 

Some versions were better, some worse, but the quality is incomparable to what Animate offers.

Flash CS6 is the best Flash, then come CS5.5, CS3 and Flas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate is in a state of perpetual beta at best, with many features released at alpha stage, ill-designed and poorly implemented, in conflict with existing workflows.

It is drowning in bugs and has huge performance and stability issues.

The new UI is unbalanced, bloated and utterly unpleasant to use.

Flash, on the contrary, was a finished product. 

Some versions were better, some worse, but the quality is incomparable to what Animate offers.

Flash CS6 is the best Flash, then come CS5.5, CS3 and Flash 8 in this order.

All of them are suited for professional animation work and powered by EDAP Tools are still competitive in the 21-st century context.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow

no wonder why people recommendeded Flash MX or 8 for good reasons so I'm gonna resolve this answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and sorry to bother you, I wanna see some more people thoughts about my question, if there is no edit button for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flash 8 still holds its ground to this day and runs quite well on Win 10 (in compatibility mode).

An even better experience would be to run XP on a VirtualBox and enjoy faster and smoother Flash 8 performance.

Flash 7 (MX 2004) is, in my opinion, obsolete and overshadowed by Flash 8. It cannot be properly extended either.

Out of all CS releases the only really bad one is CS4.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines