• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When mask ends, underlying objects repeat.

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered a new weirdness in Animate 2020, involving something I've done ... forever. Here's an example. I have an animated graphic object which is masked. The mask itself is animated to hide or reveal the graphic over time. In the screenshot below, the mask is a circle which grows from small to large to create an Iris effect.

What I have frequently done in the past is to eliminate the mask once its job is done. If the mask layer is empty, then there is no masking and the entire layer(s) below are visible. I have done that in the screenshot below. Once the circle almost fills the entire screen, I just put in a blank keyframe in the mask layer, which reveals the entire layer below. 

And that still works, except ... when the mask is deleted - when the blank keyframe appears on the mask layer - the graphic on the underlying layer repeats from the beginning. It doesn't do this when I scrub the timeline. It doesn't do this when I play the animation within Animate (by hitting Enter). Within Animate, everything is fine. But. When I export a SWF file (Control | Test; or Control | Test Movie | In Animate) the playback of the animated Graphic restarts as soon as the mask ends.

The same is true if I export a video (File | Export Video/Media) as, say, a .MOV file. The masked graphic jumps back to Frame 1 as soon as the mask ends.

If the animation should be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9, instead I get 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

Snap2.jpg

TOPICS
Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that I am on Windows 10, running Animate 20.5.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting the issue, we are not able to reproduce the issue at our end. Can you please share the sample file with us to investigate.

Thanks!

Arvind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly. Here is a file that has the problem:
Mask_Error.FLA 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate, 

I could replicate with your file.

It seems to be another bug with the so-called 'Advanced Layers'.

Since you don't seem to be using any of that functionality in your file, just turn them off from Modify > Document...

Clipboard-1.png

The animation will play normally in SWF player.

Hope this helps!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick - thanks for that insight! I am using Advanced Layers quite a bit (although not in that sample FLA), but it's good to know going forward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Hopefully, now when you've reported this they will fix it.

All the new features introduced in recent years are full of many bugs.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mark for sharing the sample file and Nick for giving other inputs. I was able to replicate the issue at our end. I have logged a bug for this internally and it's under investigation. we shall get back to you once we fix the issue.

Thanks!

Arvind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines