Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where's the layer blend modes in HTML5 Canvas? D:

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm new to Adobe Animate and I'm startled that we can't use blend modes (other than additive) in HTML5 canvas.

I know the reason is because it's "not supported". . . but. . . in a lot of ways that shouldn't matter in the editor. We should still be able to use blend modes within movieclips for color effects, then flatten these movieclips on the top-level as a cached bitmap. The final movieclip would have to be treated as a normal blend mode (or an additive one, I suppose) but all the artwork inside that movieclip could benefit from the different types of blend mode effects within it.

This would mean, however, that if art using an unsupported blend mode was up against transparency, then it would have to revert to being displayed as "normal" when the movieclip get's cached as a bitmap. . . But that would be fine. That's how it worked in the Flash Player before, so fair enough. 🙂

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate is not Photoshop. It's intended for creating moving images. You can't meaningfully cache a blend mode because blend modes are intended to control how one (moving) clip renders on top of another (moving) clip. Using blend modes to create a static image is just burning cycles for no reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(moved post to down below) 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think we have to agree to disagree there. Blend modes can be used to quickly produce lighting effects for static things like background images and logos. In a production environment the ability to quickly achieve certain artistic styles is very important. It’s disappointing that we can’t use blend modes. It would be nice to have the option, so long as the final image gets “normalized” by making it a cached bitmap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines