Highlighted

Why use _this vs. this in Javascript interaction?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen Javascript used in Animate that defines _this instead of this.

For example: _this()stop; or _this.parent.gotoAndPlay

vs.

this()stop; or this.parent.gotoAndPlay

The Adobe Press Animate book actually shows screenshots with both used. And, I understand Javascript requires determining scope. Why use one or other and why not just have a standard?

Topics

ActionScript, Code, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why use _this vs. this in Javascript interaction?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen Javascript used in Animate that defines _this instead of this.

For example: _this()stop; or _this.parent.gotoAndPlay

vs.

this()stop; or this.parent.gotoAndPlay

The Adobe Press Animate book actually shows screenshots with both used. And, I understand Javascript requires determining scope. Why use one or other and why not just have a standard?

Topics

ActionScript, Code, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'this' is a reserved word that means the object in which that line of code is. With JavaScript you sometimes need to convery which 'this' you mean. There are generally two ways to do that, either Bind or use a variable.

For example:

alert(this);

testfunction();

on testfunction{

alert(this);

}

The two alerts will show different values. Using Bind:

alert(this);

testfunction.bind(this);

on testfunction{

alert(this);

}

will show the same value. But, using bind everywhere to keep the level being the same may not always be what you want, and so the other way of using a variable would do:

var _this = this;

alert(_this);

on testfunction{

alert(_this);

}

would show the same value. As 'this' is a reserved word it can't be used as a variable, and a common variable to use is _this. I sometimes use 'self' too, like:

var self = this;

Then I can refer to self when I'm trying to do something on the main timeline.

Another approach that is useful is to stash your variables in the browser window level. You could say:

window.tl = this;

and then everywhere in your entire hierarchy you could get back to the main timeline by addressing window.tl.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
ClayUUID LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Polluting the global scope with variables is not great practice, BTW. At the very least I'd recommend stashing any Animate globals in exportRoot instead, which acts as the defacto Animate namespace.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines