Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio interface records audio in 32 bit float but it clips in Audition

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently purchased the ZOOM UAC-232 that can record files up to 32 bit float, which means that the audio cannot clip, even when it goes beyond 0dB. This function works as intended in Pro Tools and Reaper projects, but it doesn't in Audition (which is my main DAW for work). In Audition, I create a new file or a new multitrack session in 32 bit float and I record with the ZOOM UAC-232 clipping the audio, but when I normalize it the clipping remains. The audio driver is the ZOOM UAC-232 Asio driver, which is the same I used in my tests in Pro Tools and Reaper, and I use Audition 23.3 and Windows. My questions are:

1) Why the audio clips if I record 32 bit float audio in a 32 bit float file?

2) Is there something I can do/ Is it a limitation of Audition at the moment?

3) If it is a limitation, would it be feasible for Adobe to make Audition support "real" 32 bit float recording? Or try it in the Beta?

Thank you for your kind attention

TOPICS
Feature request , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All 32-bit means is you have a much greater dynamic range than the 16db or 24db ranges. Both bitrates cannot go past 0db, or you will get clipping.  32-bit is excellent for creating masters but can't be played back on consumer players. I have the Zoom UAC-232 as well, and it does a phenomenal job, but there is an additional step you need to take in post-production. In my workflow, I now use the original recording and then make a copy of that file to use as an edit master. I open the copied file in the Editor, highlight the area higher than the 0db marker and lower the gain. You will find the integrity of the recording intact, and then you'll be able to normalize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify this (and I'm sure that the devs will tell me if it isn't correct): There's a significant difference between opening a 32-bit FP file - which is what DMcClintock is talking about - and being able to record one using the UAC-232 as the input device. Opening the file made on the UAC-232 should work correctly - it's a 32-bit FP file and Audition can handle these. The problem arises when you start a new 32-bit file in Audition. What happens then - and this has not been an issue up to now - is that you create a 32-bit 'container' which comprises three parts; a 23-bit mantissa, a sign bit, and an 8-bit exponent. No audio device until now has actually outputted the exponent part, so it's remained empty; full of zeros and you couldn't input data to it. I think (and this is where the devs might like to clarify) that all that needs to happen is that exponent recording needs enabling. Presently, the mantissa and sign bit record correctly but the exponent is ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources