Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

8 bit files save as 16 bit files

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Trying to save some .WAV u-LAW files as 8000hz 8 bit. However, any time I reopen the files in Audition, they show as 16 bit. This even happens if I record in 8000hz 8 bit and then save the file as 8 bit. 

If I have the file open in Audition and save it as 8 bit, it will temporarily show in Audition as "8 bit" but as soon as I close the file and reopen it, it immediately shows "16 bit" again. 

Please let me know if you need more info. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise that it's annoying, but I wouldn't worry about it. Opening the file doesn't change it in the slightest - this is just Audition displaying it in a convenient format. If you right-click on the file and look at its properties afterwards, it won't have changed from what you saved it as. In order to change it, you'd have to resave it, and it would give you a chance to alter it - but if you don't do that, then it's exactly as you saved it in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, 

I just wanted to say thanks so much for your reply. I read it at the time and downloaded MediaInfo, and that confirmed what you said - it was 8hz 8 bit. The issue was the client's IVR system was still not accepting the files. 

For anyone else encountering this issue in the future, I saved the files out of Audition with the correct specs, opened them in Audacity and exporting as U-Law from there and this worked just fine for the IVR system. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You shouldn't have to use Audacity - there are several adjustable parameters in the u-law saving options, and it's probably something in there that isn't matching the requirements of the IVR system. I haven't yet heard of a system that hasn't finally been tweaked successfully though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines