• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you move all track volume key frames down the same amount?

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing the final mix of the audio of a premiere project at the moment. I've been mixing the audio by making live volume adjustments, making keyframes on the tracks themselves by using the write function in the mixer.

While I'm happy with the mix, some of the audio is clipping, so ideally I'd like to move all the keyframes I've made down a few levels. I've already made some bus tracks to turn the overall volume down, but I'm guessing (I'm fairly new to this kind of mixing so I'm not sure about this) that if a track is clipping, going in the red in an audio track, turning down the bus track it's linked to won't fix the distortion. So that's why I'm wanting to see if I can turn all the keyframes down by the same amount.

Is this possible?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

I figured this out actually, right click on a key frame, select all keyframes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

You've got to be careful here - this is a bit of a can of worms... If the track you are mixing is overloaded and clipping in the first place before you've done any mixing or editing at all, then nothing you can do will alter this; it's built into the recording and can't be undone (there is no cure for distortion and there won't ever be one - there are no correct reference points for repairing it). But if your recording is fundamentally sound and only appears to be clipping as a result of some pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured this out actually, right click on a key frame, select all keyframes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got to be careful here - this is a bit of a can of worms... If the track you are mixing is overloaded and clipping in the first place before you've done any mixing or editing at all, then nothing you can do will alter this; it's built into the recording and can't be undone (there is no cure for distortion and there won't ever be one - there are no correct reference points for repairing it). But if your recording is fundamentally sound and only appears to be clipping as a result of some processing you are doing, then you need to find out at which stage this is, and correct it there.

It's all a bit more complicated in Multitrack; you can't actually overload the system as it uses a form of processing (Floating Point) which artificially gives  a much greater dynamic range - even having a signal that goes completely into the red because you increased its level so much can be corrected. In this case though it's not distorted - it's just at a higher level than your sound device can handle. And this is where you need to be careful - is it just a multitrack overload which can be turned down so the signals don't exceed 0dB, or is it actual clipping? Until you've figured that out you won't know what to correct.

The actual answer to your question is yes, they can all be selected - right-click on one and choose 'Select All Keyframes' and then you will be able to drag all of them up and down. But as I said, you do need to check that this is really what you need to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah it was clipping because it is was in the red thankfully. Turning them down has fixed the issue. Thanks for the explanation though, sheds more light on the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines