• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conformed audio files sound awful compared to original. How to fix this?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from a relative newbie..

I'm struggline to understand why a conformed file would sound so much worse than the original audio? Even though the sample rate might be 44100 as opposed to other files for which sample rates are 48000, the process of conforming the file to match sample rates seems to degrade the sound a great deal. How can I avoid this happening?

Thanks in anticipation

Alicia :-0)

TOPICS
How to , Import , Noise reduction

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a glance at the edge of your picture - are you trying to put this file in a track that has a pitch shift effect on it? If you are, it's probably less than surprising that it doesn't sound great...

Basically, you haven't told us anything like enough of what you are trying to do with the session to be able to diagnose the problem. Normally resampling is transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SteveG_AudioMasters_ Well spotted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SteveG,

I didn't include the rest of the image because it didn't relate to my question re conformed files -  I was in the middle of playing with pitch shift using the tip you offered (I think it was you), suggesting that glitches in pitch shift processing could be avoided by manually reducing the splicing frequency in settings. Which worked well, thank you. 

My question re conformed files relates to the alert message that pops up when you have some files with a different sample rate to others in a multitrack environment. You are offered the opportunity to 'match sample rate', which then appears to have a negative effect on the quality of the matched audio when compared to the original file. I would like to know how to avoid the change in audio quality in such cases. 

Thanks,

Alicia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot was merely to show the list of files with different sample rates 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing about sample rate matching is that there are (on a PC, at least) two different ways in which sample rate can be converted - one is by the OS (all bets are off regarding the quality of the conversion) and the other is within Audition itself - which has been independently verified as being pretty much the best sample rate conversion there is - regardless of who created the software. The other software that is almost as good is iZotope's RX. If you want to look at the comparisons, look here - sample rate comparisons 

So you need to make sure that your sample rate conversion is done under control by you. And this means not trying to import it on the fly, but making sure that you've opened the file in Waveform view and done the conversion there, and then saving the converted version, and using that in your session. The advantage of doing it this way is that you then have an immediate check on the quality of conversion, and you know that when that file gets used in a multitrack session, it's going to sound just the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Steve. Because I'm relatively new to Audition, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. So I have been using audio files recorded by different means (some on voice memos, some on Garageband, and some studio recordings), the sample rates are different. I haven't yet been able to find a way to convert Apple's standard sample rate to a higher quality so that it matches the better quality audio before I attempt to drag the file into a track - which is the point at which Audition's warning notice about mis-matched sample rates pops up. Is there another way to change the sample rate before importing the file into the track 'library' so that this doesn't happen when I go to add it to the multitrack project? I have been trying to use wav files as much as possible, but sometimes I don't have a choice..

Thanks,

Alicia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines