My story is about Audition CS6 installed on Windows 10 Pro. I am working on a multitrack project with 8 tracks. When I attempt to export all tracks to separate files, all the exported files are created with correct file names, but only the first six tracks are normal, tracks 7 and 8 have no data in them. In Windows File Explorer, the "length" column is blank, whereas tracks 1-6 have normal lengths listed. Note that all tracks are structured identically ... the Mute, Solo and Record Ready buttons are all off in all tracks.
Wierder still is that if I create two new tracks, 9 & 10, and move the files to those two new tracks, the same thing happens: tracks 1-6 export correctly and tracks 9 and 10 are empty with correct names and blank lengths reported in File Explorer. I have done this identical operation about 75 times with other projects and have never encountered this. I have exited the program and started over with no change. I have rebooted the computer with no change. Can anybody explain this and suggest how to fix it?
Of lesser concern (since it doesn't hurt anything) is that if I use the razor tool on a selected track, every other track with data at the same time point also receives a cut. This, also, never used to happen. I only mention this in case this combination of things is part of some known syndrome.
When you do the export, what exactly does it say in the Mixdown Options box? If you click on Change, and enlarge the panel slightly to make it all visible, can you share the result as a screen grab?
As for your razor problem - that's simple. If you click on the razor tool icon and hold the mouse down, you'll find that you get two options - you want the other one, that displays the tool as a single razorblade, not a pair of them...
Thank you for the response Steve. I don't really need a screen capture to tell you what it looks like, as it's pretty simple. I clicked the check box next to Master two times. That unchecks all three choices. So, no master file shall be exported ... don't need that. Then I click the box next to Track, which put a check in every box next to every track, track 1 through track n, where n = 8 for that project. I also tried just checking tracks 7 and 8, those that didn't export with the rest of the tracks. Again, no luck. I just needed all the tracks on my hard drive so I could create a .cdlx project and burn a CD. And as I said in my original inquiry, I have done this in that way dozens and dozens of times without incident.
Then, after I sent my plea for help, a brainstorm occurred. I interchanged tracks 3 and 7, checked only track 3 and whadayaknow, track 7 exported correctly when it was placed in the track 3 location. I hope you followed that. Then I did the same type of swap with track 8, putting it in the track 3 location. Again, success. At that point I had all 8 tracks on the drive and I proceeded to burn the disc from a new .cdlx project. But obviously, nobody should have to jump through so many hoops to burn a disc! The only thing different from all the dozens of other successful and uneventful exports was that the double razor tool was activated. Thank you so much for that clue. I must have changed it by accident, as I never knew about it. Maybe it's a bug in this old program (CS6). Perhaps I will test that theory some day when I have nothing better to do.
Today I exported a 12-track project without incident.
Thanks again, Steve, for your help.
If you've subsequently exported 12 tracks successfully, then I suspect that there may be an error in the session file for the session that didn't export without messing about.
That's a reasonable conclusion. I'll run with that ...