• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete silence selecting areas with sound?

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey gang, as the title suggests, I'm having an issue wherein when I run the scan for Delete Silence, it winds up selecting sections that include huge chunks of audio. It seems somehow tied to the length of time that silence is defined as; if I increase it to long enough, it will suddenly start recognizing the silence correctly. Weirdly, it seems to have some correlation with the overall length of the file. If the file is short, I can scan at any length and it's fine. But if it's longer (Somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour), I have to adjust the length of time that silence is defined by. I'm running the most recent version of Audition, and I've been having this issue for a couple years now.

The workaround I've found is that I have to work down from a longer silence amount, shortening or deleting them then rescanning at a shorter time, but it's rather tedious. Any thoughts?

My definition parameters are as follows:
Silence is defined as signal below -69 for 1000ms
Audio is defined as above -69 for 25ms.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you normalized the signal before doing this? If you haven't, the dB figures are pretty meaningless. Also, for most recordings, -69dB is lower than the noise floor is going to be - I'd definitely increase that to more like -50dB for a start, and normalize the file before running the diagnostics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! I'll give this a try and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines