• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Diagnostics Tool picking up audio as silence that it shouldn't be

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem for months. In audition, there is a diagnostics tool which will scan your audio wav for silence. It then gives you the option to delete or shorten all the silent pieces. It determines the silence by whether it is below a certain dB level. Mine is set to "define silence as below -34 dB." 

I do a podcast with my friend. The tool does a PERFECT job of editting his voice. But it continually cuts mine at parts that are NOT silent. At first, I thought my recording setting must just be off. But, as you see in the pictures provided, this is not the case. The first picture is the editted sound wav using the diagnostics tool. There was a spot where I said, "I got so sick of it." Audution cut the "of it" off because it picked it up as silence. However, in the second picture, you'll see the uneditted version and the db level. The part that it cut out and picked up as "silence" is at -6ish dB, i.e. WAY above the range that should be considered silence. Why did it pick this up as silence and how do I fix this? 

alyssafyfe_0-1622327544412.png

alyssafyfe_1-1622327611393.png

TOPICS
Audio hardware , How to , Noise reduction

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The part that I can see where the level, and presumably the duration, detects as silence is nowhere near -6dB - it's somewhat lower than that:

Diagnostics cutoff.JPG

I suspect that your problem here is that you don't actually have 'silence' as such - this just looks like a noisy background. You need your silence threshold set higher than that level - whatever it is. I cannot tell exactly what it is, because you have no scale indicated. Also note that if the background level for your friend is even slightly different, then the results you get won't be the same anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, that is not the area it deleted. THIS is what it deleted. That entire back half of the sound wave. Hence why I provided BOTH pictures of the sound waves, so that that is clearly visible. 

alyssafyfe_0-1622429654107.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that the area it is picking up is probably below the threshhold. But when it rises above that threshold, it should no longer be detecting silence. That is the issue at hand. Also, the background noise is the same. This podcast is originally recorded as a live show with us in the exact same room. And if his voice isn't having the issue of the software redetecting his voice after silence, mine should not either. And again, this is one example on this entire sound wav. There are hundreds of spots where the same thing was done, in some places in the MIDDLE of me speaking where it is even more evident that at no point did it dip below the threshhold. Also, the first picture was not intended as a numerical scale. It was intended as a visual of how much of the sound wav was removed (which did not seem to notice), the second of which DOES include a scale at the bottom of the picture. Please don't insult me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let's be very clear about two things: Firstly, none of your pictures include an amplitude scale - and that's the only one that is relevant when it comes to silence detection, and secondly, nobody is insulting you. If somebody doesn't entirely understand what your problem is initially, that isn't 'insulting'. Your accusation, on the other hand, is.

For you, the next thing you have to look at is what the 'Define Audio As' settings are. You have to bear in mind that doing a scan doesn't influence the time settings and if, for instance, the 'for more than' time setting is too high, then any speech detected before that time would be included in the previous silent period. When you have a lot of background noise, the detection process is a bit hit and miss anyway, so you have to be careful with the settings. Generally that time setting value needs to be pretty low - like a few milliseconds. The safest way to set this up is to mark the audio first, and look at the markers to see what is actually going to be deleted before doing the deletion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines