• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does Audition utilize processor for effects rack? Where is the bottleneck?

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had a huge upgrade to my PC rig, partly because I process large files using the effects rack in Adobe Audition.

But upon processing my first files with this incredibly fast processor, I find that it is no faster than my old laptop, takking about the same amount of time.

Looking up the resource monitor, Audition is not utilizing any of the available resources to speed this up! No cores are maxed, the GPU is at 0%, plenty of available resources... Why is it still so slow? Where is the bottleneck? Is it in the software architectre, or built-in throttle?

Picture to illustrate:

Adobe Processing.jpg

My system is top of the line, brand new, assembled last week, and the Adobe CC install is fresh yesterday.

Any insight would be welocme...

TOPICS
Audio hardware , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be interesting for you to go to Edit>Preferences>Memory and see how much RAM you've got available for Audition. On this laptop, I don't reserve any of it for other applications at all. How much difference that will make I don't know, but it's the first thing to look at. Generally these things are managed on a system-wide basis, and I suspect that Audition has to be run so that it can achieve performance across the board. Generally it's not the processor that affects system performance, it's things like disk handling, etc, and how things like temp files are managed. There are several sites around that will give you tips for setting up your machine to optimise it for audio, and it's generally worth working your way though those before blaming any one thing in particular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, I had this PC built by an IT engineer specifically for Adobe CC to function optimally for audio and video. It has 3 separate superfast SSDs for OS / Scratch disks & temp files /  Data storage.

As you can see from the screenshot it has 21GB RAM unused, so doubt there is a bottleneck there!

I've looked for every conceivable optimization, so was hoping one of the Audition software engineers might pop their head up and tell me about a hyperthreading checkbox somewhere I may have missed! Though, even if this was the case you'd expect one of the CPU cores to be maxed out, but the system barely gets off idle levels.

Thanks for the comment anyhow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is a U2U forum - so not much chance of any developers looking at it, I'm afraid. And regardless of how much RAM you have installed, it's still worth altering the allocation size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if you've covered this already, but where exactly are you saving files to? A local folder or somewhere in the cloud? And where are your temp files being stored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving files to Local Data SSD D:

Temp folder is located on its own SSD E:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines