• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hum sound underneath when recording

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just successfullly installed Adobe Audition 1.5 in my new windows 11 computer.  It ran fine in my old windows 10 computer.  The sound quality seems good in W11, but there is annoying hum sound underneath my voice when I record myself.

I've attached a WAV file of the hum by itself. 

BTW, I use a Soundcraft Notepad-SFX as my interface.  The exterior mic  goes into a  dbx 286s compressor and then into the Soundcraft interface.  

TOPICS
Version 3 and earlier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, can't really tell from this - except to say that it's a 'mains' type hum without a lot of harmonics. And that points directly to the external components you are using, and the grounding arrangements of them relative to your new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I go about grounding my new computer?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's probably the last thing you need to be doing... When I said grounding arrangements, that's what I meant - often these things happen because there is multiple grounding occuring when there shouldn't be - that can cause a ground loop, which is what generates the hum. But it's not even guaranteed to be this; there are other possibilities as well, especially with low-harmonic hums - just the positioning of a mains transformer can do it sometimes, especially if there are unbalanced connections in your system. Really, you should get somebody who understands about these grounding issues to look at it, as altering grounding arrangements can potentially create conditions that are more dangerous than they should be.

There are a few things you can try, though. First thing to do is remove the mic and compressor completely and see if that removes the hum when you record. Then plug the mic directly into the mixer and see if that's okay. Then if you plug the compressor in again, and the hum restarts then you'll know that it'a a ground loop between the compressor mains and your computer. That, FWIW, looks like the most likely cause of your problem, because it's the only other externally grounded component in your chain. But because it's not in front of me, I can't be absolutely sure - it may be something else completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines