• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting Clip C between Clip A and B and Audition automatically makes enough space between A and B?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been trying this for some time now and I just couldn't find out how to do it.

I am working in multitrack view in Track 1. In Track 1 there is Clip A and Clip B with a 5 second silence between them.
In Track 2 I have Clip C which is 20 seconds long and which I want to move now to Track 1 between A and B.
If I just move C into the space between A and B it overlaps with A and B as its longer as the 5 second silence.
Is there a way to easily drag and drop Clip C between A and B and Audition automatically makes the Space between A and B long enough for C to fit in?

I found a way by inserting silence between the clips with the silence as long as the new clip, but I am sure there is a more convenient way.

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there isn't an automatic way of doing this - pretty much there can't be because that could potentially result in chaos! Absolutely the last thing you need is clips moving themselves automatically, believe me - especially if you've got material on the same track beyond the clip that you've just forced to move...

The 'insert silence' method is fine, as it lengthens the session, rather than moves the clips - so the relationship between any other clips is maintained. The alternative is to group anything beyond the insertion point, and move the group along, leaving a large enough gap to insert your clip in. You can then realign the clips easily, as long as you have 'snap to clips' enabled; get your inserted clip lined up against the left hand clip, and then slide the grouped clips back to meet your inserted clip. You get a blue line to help you as well, as long as you've enabled the snap:

Snap line.JPG

The blue line shows up only when you are within the snap range. Of course this also means that you don't really need to put your insert on the same track...

Also you could combine both methods. If there's only one clip, you add time at the start of your session, slide the first clip back into it and then proceed as above, withoug needing to move everything else in the session. In general, the grouping method is best, because it works across tracks, and you can keep all your relative timing in place - which shoving clips about automatically would destroy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!
This helps a lot. Although the feature would still come in handy for me, I now have a better understanding about why its not working.

Adobe should be grateful to have people like you. My experience with their customer support has been horrible. After actually forcing me to share my screen with the adobe support person she wasted about one hour of my time by telling me she doesnt kno whow to help me but will try it anway and just clicked randomly on some buttons in adobe.
after I ended the support chat I recieved about 20 Emails about how adobe wants to solve my issues and still has an open ticket for me, without actually doing anything else.

So thank you again, highly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps unfortunately, your reply rather sums up the issues a lot of people have with Adobe's 'help' system. I'm not going to defend it, but it's worth noting that the folks on the helplines have several major disadvantages; they have to deal with the entire range of software, and only have crib-sheets to work from, and if that wasn't bad enough, they don't actually use the software themselves - so they'll inevitably be floundering completely with a query like yours. Their 'get out of jail' card is always 'try the forums'. And in a way that's not unreasonable, as we're end-users with way more specific experience about apps than they will ever have, and they know this.

But realistically we can only do this for the apps we have a lot of experience of - don't ask me too much about the rest of the range, even the apps I actually use - there are people far better equipped to do that than me. But I have been using Audition since even before it existed (back when it was Cool Edit, and not owned by Adobe at all), so I do have perhaps a slightly better grasp of its ideosyncracies than some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines