• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a little help on routing to an external effects box

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this question, but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. I need some simple steps to route audio from an Audition analog mono track out to an external effects box and receive it back into a separate track so that I can inject it into my mix.

I am set up in multitrack view with mic inputs (via a Focusrite Saffire D/A interface) going into mono channels 1, 2, 3 and 5. I have an Audition track corresponding to each. I would like to send the signal on channel 5 out to an external (physical, actual) rackmount RNC compressor and route the signal back into my mix. In terms of physical connections, at present I have my Saffire interface sending out to the compressor on its output jack 7 and receiving the treated signal back on input jack 7.

In my (admittedly hazy) understanding, I need to route my Audition track 5 to Saffire channel 7, then add an Audition track to receive from channel 7. The idea would be that inbound channel 7 should contain my compressor-treated return signal. (Do I need to use a bus for this?) Despite considerable fiddling I can't seem to make this basic operation work...I get no signal back on that channel 7 no matter what I do. Dead as a doornail.

Embarrassed! If easiest to point me to an online resource, please do - I haven't been able to find one, to my surprise. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Audio hardware , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Have you listened directly to the output from the RNC? Alternatively, if you plug anything else into input 8, do you get level from it?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you've used too much Saffire channel 7. I'd be looking at something like this:

Audition track 5 to channel 7 output. Feed that signal to the RNC, and feed the RNC output back to a different input on the Saffire - like 6, or whatever. Set Audition to recieve channel 6 and leave the track output set to Master. No you don't need a bus. Also doing it like this should make it fairly easy to check the signals at each point in the routing.

Or I could be completely wrong. Try it anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve. Just tried that out, sending on channel 5 and receiving back from the compressor on 8. Nice signal from the live mic on 5, as expected, but still dead on 8. Harrumph. Bah humbug. Etc.

I'll attach a screen shot of the mappings I have. If those look right to you, I'm really stumped. In the screen shot, the KM184 track is the live mic signal coming through the Saffire's pre. Nice level there.

FMR routing.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misspoke. I am getting my mic signal in on 5, sending to the compressor on 7, receiving back on 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you listened directly to the output from the RNC? Alternatively, if you plug anything else into input 8, do you get level from it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Steve, you gave me just the clue I needed. Plugging headphones directly into the RNC output I did hear a signal…which led me to discover that I was using the wrong kind of patch cable (balanced vs unbalanced) to route back to the Saffire pre. Once that was swapped out I got my signal. Yay! Now I can start fiddling with the FUN stuff….

Thanks so much for sticking with this. You’re the man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines