• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selected Area Changes While Running a Script from "Favorites"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm processing an audio file, I'll pull it into Audition and run a series of effects. I have several effects set up as a script under the "Favorites" menu. But I'm running into a problem.

I'll select the portion of the waveform I want to modify and click the script I want to run. The first few effects will be applied just fine, but then the selected area will change on its own, and the rest of the effects will be applied to the smaller selection only.

I don't know if it matters, but it seems that when it gets to the "denoise" effect, the selected area changes.

I'm currently using version 13.0.12.45, but I had the exact same issue with version 12 as well. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

System info:

Windows 10 Pro

x64-based PC

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2623 v3 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

64 GB RAM

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Almost certainly what has happened is that during the creation of your Favorite, the selected area of the waveform has changed. If you want to see what has happened, then you need to open the Favorites for editing. What you probably have is something like this:

Favourites 1.JPG

In this list, you can see that the DeNoise has an entirely different selection to everything else. If this happens, and you don't correct the time before adding the next effect, then the time selection will carry on through the rest of t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost certainly what has happened is that during the creation of your Favorite, the selected area of the waveform has changed. If you want to see what has happened, then you need to open the Favorites for editing. What you probably have is something like this:

Favourites 1.JPG

In this list, you can see that the DeNoise has an entirely different selection to everything else. If this happens, and you don't correct the time before adding the next effect, then the time selection will carry on through the rest of the Favorite. In the one above, I reset the time to get it back to the entire file, but it will certainly retain the previous time selection for the next effect if you don't alter it.

If you make sure that it's correct, then you end up with a display like this for your Favorite:

Favourites 2.JPG

The trick here, before applying each effect, is to have the cursor on the waveform and hit Ctrl+A. That will guarantee that you select everything.

Unfortunately, when it says you can 'edit' the Favorites, it doesn't really mean it. The only column you can edit is the Selection one, and not any of the times. That's a pain, because it means that if you get this wrong, you have to recreate the entire Favorite from scratch.

Creating Favorites does work, but there are snags and gotchas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen shot of my favorite.

Effects list.jpg

As far as I can tell, the selection shouldn't be changing.

Here is a screen capture of the actual process. At the top you can see the selected area as the favorite runs from Parametric Equalizer through the first instance of Hard Limiter. But once DeNoise comes up, the selection shortens (bottom). I have no idea why it changes...

Different Selection.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't shown the whole of the edit - Can't tell what's actually happening to the rest, as it's still possible to have percentages in the other columns, even if they are set to relative. If you have anything other than 0 or 100% in any of the boxes, it's going to make reselections. Personally I wouldn't start from any absolute position at all; I'd start the Favorite recording with Ctrl-A and just to make sure, redoing that before each new effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by needing to see the rest of the edit. There's no multitrack or anything like that set up. Here is my process:

> Open Audition and import an audio file.

> In the waveform editor view, I select my imported file.

> I select the portion of the audio file I want to process.

> I click the favorites menu, and select the script I want to run (7 steps... see my initial post)

> At step 6 of the script, my selection gets shortened without me doing anything.

I took your suggestion and used Ctrl-A and ran the script, but the result was the same.

Here is a video showing exactly what happens. At about 0:16 you can see the selection shorten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm not entirely sure what you mean by needing to see the rest of the edit."

We are talking about the edit of your Favorite. If you look at my screen-grabs, you will see that they include start, end and channel selection. Whilst the channel selection isn't necessarily relevant, the start and end settings very much are, because that's where your error is coming from. So that's what we need to see. If you temporarily drag the waveform window to the right, you will be able to see them. Look carefully at the numbers in step 6; they won't say 0 and 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah... When I opened the Favorites panel, the window was partially closed and I didn't realize there was more there to see. And that was certainly the problem.

Effects 2.jpg

I had to re-record the script, but I did and now it works perfectly.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines