• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Software opens outside of my Mac's screen and I can't move it back on-screen!?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Hope someone can help? Every time I open Adobe Audition, it opens partly on-screen, partly off-screen. The header bar is hidden behind the Mac OS header bar so I can't grab that to move it back on screen. Its window size is deeper than the Mac's screen, so I can't grab the corner to try and minimise it and move it back on-screen that way. Due to the set-up of Audition, every time I try to grab the main 'black' space it just pulls a section out and again not possible to move the main window back on-screen.

I'm not having this problem with any other Adobe package!? I think this is happening because I use 2 screens in the office but I always quite all applications and turn off my Mac before taking it out of the office.

I've tried quitting and reopening the application but the same problem keeps occurring. I've tried restarting the Mac and turning it off and on again but keeps happening. I've looked into the display settings in preferences but no joy! I've tried disabling Mission Control in Hot Corners but it still opens off-screen! I've looked a lot into Audition's 'Window' and 'View' settings but nothing seems to bring it back on-screen!?

Any/all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Try holding down the option key and resize the window. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem daily.  I work in AE, Premiere and photoshop at work.  I've disconnected my second monitor, shut down the app, restarted my computer and it still opens off screen on my laptop. The only way I can work is if I mirror my display when connected to Thunderbolt. That gives me a larger viewing space to move the window around. But that defeats the purpose of working with two monitors. And if i move the window down and go back to dual monitors it goes right back under the menu bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue after disconnecting a larger screen that my photshop window fit on (larger than native screen resolution at the time). I went to system preferences> displays> clicked "scaled", then selected "more space". This gave me a larger resolution on my screen opening it up enought o see the entire photoshop window. This won't work if you are at maximum already, I assume... But changing those setting may force the mac to resize you windows though to fit inside your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can see at least one edge of the program, drag it inwards whilst holding shift. This will scale down the entire window proportionally. Once you've got the top bar back in view, then you can just drag the window to the correct position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is in fact the problem described in this thread.  No access to a resizing edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sort of worked for me. Only the bottom half of Audition was appearing at the top of my screen, the top bar was way off screen.  I sized the window down wayyyyyyyy off screen (I couldn't even see what I was doing). Then I quit audition and reopened it. It appeared now in the bottom right corner of my screen, but I could grab the top bar and resized appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a way to get the screen back to the main screen by first adding a second screen as a extra display.

Open indesign>Go to the second screen and close indesign in that screen in the menu bar. Go back to the main screen and open indesign again. With my MacBook pro it appears again in the main screen.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem definitely. As long as I don't power down the computer this works but after a power down it again opens outside the screen and I have to repeat it to make it work.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Jonnoh:

I know it was a question while ago but I saw this, and I had the same issue but I figured out in the end, so I wanna share to you all:

I'm using Mac, so if you have the same issue in mac, just go to system preference/display, select "scaled", and chose the option with smaller texts---da-la, you can see the screen of your software is smaller and the header-bar will appear again! Now you can scale it down for the size you need.

Hope this is helpful for some people:) !!

xx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This generally happens when you connect to an external display, try changing to a lower resolution, all the windows should resize accordingly, then you can change again to your built-in retina display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I try this, when I switch back to the retina display it goes back to being off-screen. This is the only solution that has worked for me 100% of the time Adobe After Effects Window Off Screen FIXED (QUICK) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem with Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign numerous times. I make a point to open these programs when I know I'm going to be away from the studio and size them to the laptop screen. I'm currently out of town and tried to open up In Design and the window was totally off screen and I couldn't grab it at all, nothing was working. I saw the post above about using fn + command when opening AND THAT WORKS!!!

hold down fn + COMMAND while opening In Design.

It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked "application frame" and it worked for me for Minimize, Maximize Buttons off screen...

Adobe-off-screen.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vivianec60567300  wrote

I've checked "application frame" and it worked for me for Minimize, Maximize Buttons off screen...

Adobe-off-screen.png

Only one slight snag with this - you're talking about Illustrator, and Audition (which is what we're dealing with here) doesn't have one of those...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me with InDesign. THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem, this often occurs when using multi displays. this issue took me 3 hours to solve, and finally I found the trick. This trick worked for me, hope this will help you too.

I have found that you can move the app window if you position the mouse over the edge to get the horizontal or vertical resize arrows. The trick is to move the mouse horizontally if you have the vertical resize arrows or vertically if you have the horizontal resize arrows. It is a bit tricky, but it works on Mavericks 10.9.x This trick does not work with the diagonal resize arrows. The trick works better if you get the resize arrows the furthest away from the window without turning back into a normal pointer. You can practice this trick on any window, off screen or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! That was driving me nuts! I could not figure this out and it happens occasionally and then I forget how to fix 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Animate 2022, WFH without second monitor, Animate file open but not visible on the laptop screen.

From the View menu select Screen Mode -> Full Screen Mode With Menu Bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hopefully this solves someones issue-

I Had this similar issue with photoshop, for some reason it was opening out of screen.

The monitor that I am currently using isn't necessarily compatible with mac studios resolution/display settings. 

I found a quick solution that works before I spend and arm and a leg on a new monitor-

Enter display settings on the mac, change resolution to 1600 x 900 or 1280 x 720, should be able to grab a corner or part of the open window/program and drag it back onto your screen, then switch the display settings back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines