Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stereo changes in waveform not carrying over to Multitrack

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

So this is an error, either on my part or on Audition, that's been bugging me horribly.

I'm mixing sound for a trailer, where several clips within the overall mix need to be converted to stereo and so on.

When I modify the clips on waveform, as one should, set all my custom stuff like convert to stereo, and adjusting the DB, it's all fine, sounds perfect. It's saved.

Then when I switch my view to the multitrack, the change is not reflected on this view, specifically the "stereo convert" - the DB adjustments and any other do.

What am I missing? When I go back to the waveform of these clips, the stereo is there, perfectly fine. The only way I've been able to cheat myself into this fix is by re-inserting and re-sync the clip manually, which is an insane way to do this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly I can't imagine why, in a session, you'd ever need to do this - you are gaining no more information, and everything you've already got can be manipulated completely within the session anyway.

But I suspect that the reason for it happening is that your originals are in a mono track in the session.Tried it here, and that's exactly what happens - no 'stereo' (it's not stereo, it's dual mono).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, perhaps I haven't explained myself properly and what is the problem.

The clips that have gone through the convert to stereo fix from Audition, do not show as stereo on the multitrack automatically. Even if its "dual mono", the dual mono doesn't show. I have to insert it from the waveform to the multitrack for the file to reproduce properly on its levels, and when i do this it just drops the bit at the beginning of whichever track I may have selected.

There has to be something wrong with it given that once I do insert it, it displays and reproduces properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What name did you give to the 'converted' files when you saved them? The clips in the Multitrack view will still reference the original audio files not the new ones unless you do as you have done to re-import them.

But as Steve says why are you needing to convert them in the first place? Any level changes or stereo positioning can be done completely non destructively in the Multitrack view session anyway. So you can change the mix later without having to mess with the original files at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryclark,

I'm just going to describe it step by step and see if this is clearer:

1- I export the project from Premiere to Audition

2 - When audition opens the multitrack for the project, all mono files are mono and stereo are stereo, as expected.

3- I double click on the ones I want to apply "convert to stereo" (or double mono, as you were) and save, and switch to multitrack view.

4 - In this part, if I've applied any other filter, change etc - other than the convert to stereo so that I can have sound on left and right - will show and reproduce. Not the stereo/dual mono modification. It's as if is selectively not synching over this change to the multitrack. This used to be able to be done, I've done it before, and in fact there are several videos on youtube that describe this automation seamlessly as part of converting clips from mono to stereo. I don't change names, I'm just double clicking and saving.

If you have a better method to modify each dialogue bit to fill the right side, that doesn't involve modifying and that it shows on the multitrack, I'd be super happy to learn it. I'm just following several tutorials that advise how to do this, and perhaps they're just doing incorrectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kristina89357638  wrote

4 - In this part, if I've applied any other filter, change etc - other than the convert to stereo so that I can have sound on left and right - will show and reproduce. Not the stereo/dual mono modification. It's as if is selectively not synching over this change to the multitrack. This used to be able to be done, I've done it before, and in fact there are several videos on youtube that describe this automation seamlessly as part of converting clips from mono to stereo. I don't change names, I'm just double clicking and saving. 

Does the track in multitrack view have a pan control or a stereo balance control on the LHS of it (in the track controls)? If it has a pan control, it's a mono track and if you convert that mono track to a dual-channel track it will not come back as dual mono, it will remain as a single mono track. You can only put a stereo or dual-channel file into a stereo track, not a mono one, if you want it to come back as stereo.

kristina89357638  wrote

If you have a better method to modify each dialogue bit to fill the right side, that doesn't involve modifying and that it shows on the multitrack, I'd be super happy to learn it. I'm just following several tutorials that advise how to do this, and perhaps they're just doing incorrectly.

This is gloriously simple. You use the pan control, or if it's a stereo file, the balance control. That's what it's there for! Ideally, with dialogue, you have a mono track in your stereo session, and you can then pan it to wherever you want it to be. You absolutely don't need it to be a stereo track!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having the same issue. I make changes in the waveform but they don'nt show on the multitrack view. Did you figure out what was th problem? If so, please share! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you need to know about this is already mentioned in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except its not and you're just being [name calling removed - Mod] without even addressing the actual issue lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what exactly is missing, since you claim to know so much about it? One suggestion I will make to you is that you are more polite. Rudeness will get you absolutely nowhere here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Steve - Thanks for the help thus far.

I am new to Audition and producing a podcast for the first time.

I think the overall question being asked is, why are changes in Waveform View not reflected in Multitrack view?

Basics: Track 01 is my mic (HOST). Track 02 is interview over the phone (INTERVIEW).

When I drop these into the project in Multitrack View, then mute Track 02, Track 01 is noisey, too hot etc. I double click and open Track 01 in Waveform, adjust levels, clean it up etc, save the project. Click back into Multitrack View and none of the work I've done is reflected. In fact, things always seem to sound better in Waveform, and for some reason the same, untouched track sounds poor in Multitrack View. The two views are looking at the same thing, no? Why do they differ? Is there something I need to do to export from one to the other?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines