Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Artifacts in Spectral Frequency Display when Cutting Audio

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Whenever I try to cut a small fraction of audio in Spectral Frequency Display I find that many times a random artifact, appearing as a line and sounding like a pop, appears at the edge of wherever I cut audio. It only happens when I use Marquee Seleciton, so is there some reason for this? If so, how can I turn that off? Image attached.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Audio hardware , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

When you do that, you put a rather unnatural transition into the audio - so that the waveform, which was transitioning at one rate, suddenly starts to transition at another. That's enough to cause an audible disturbance, but only sometimes; it depends entirely upon the content. You can't 'turn that off' because you caused it! To stop it happening, you'd have to alter the slope of the sides of the transition so that it was smoother. I don't know exactly what effect, if any, it has on marquee boun

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you do that, you put a rather unnatural transition into the audio - so that the waveform, which was transitioning at one rate, suddenly starts to transition at another. That's enough to cause an audible disturbance, but only sometimes; it depends entirely upon the content. You can't 'turn that off' because you caused it! To stop it happening, you'd have to alter the slope of the sides of the transition so that it was smoother. I don't know exactly what effect, if any, it has on marquee boundaries, but the one thing you should do anyway is to make sure that boundary smoothing is set sensibly in Preferences. Appropriate settings are these:

Smooth edit boundaries.JPG

The smaller those numbers are, the more likely you are to have problems. 5ms is generally good, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines