Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Waveform not reflecting multitrack edits

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I can't figure out why the edits I'm making in multitrack are not reflected in the waveform.

Any ideas, smart people?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Yes this is all normal. You aren't actually 'editing' your track as such - you are merely selecting which bits to play at any given time - that's how non-linear editing works. To store that as a permanent result, you either have to export, or mix down, your track. When you do this, your edits will be reflected in the result. The differences between Multitrack and Waveform playback can be caused by several things - anything you do in the way of effects in Multitrack won't be reflected in Waveform

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multitrack edits are virtual - they won't affect the original file at all. In Waveform view, you can display and edit a waveform, but that's the only place you can make a physical difference to it - what Multitrack does is act as a posh, selective, player of your waveform. That's how non-linear editing works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

I'm still a bit confused.  I'm editing a voice track in multitrack - actually cutting pieces out, moving them around, etc. But when I switch to waveform to EQ, Denoise, etc., it's not reflecting the edits I made in multitrack.

Also, the track sounds different when I switch between the two. It's much louder with a bit more high end in Waveform. Is that normal?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is all normal. You aren't actually 'editing' your track as such - you are merely selecting which bits to play at any given time - that's how non-linear editing works. To store that as a permanent result, you either have to export, or mix down, your track. When you do this, your edits will be reflected in the result. The differences between Multitrack and Waveform playback can be caused by several things - anything you do in the way of effects in Multitrack won't be reflected in Waveform playback of the same material, but the one that most people notice is caused by the way that stereo panning is selected.

Non-linear editing has several advantages. You don't alter the original material, so you can always go back and alter things, and it also makes 'versioning' a lot easier. And obviously you can layer tracks - which you can't do with 'conventional' editing.

The best way to think about all editing is that it's a process of selecting what it is that you want to include in the final result - it's not about cutting things out. And that's what happens in Multitrack - you are arranging the bits you've selected and playing them at the time you want. If you cut stuff up in Waveform view (which of course you can, if you want) you have to remember that if you save the changes, that becomes permanent. Which is why you should always work with a copy, not the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is super helpful. I get it!

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines