Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition CS6 "Cannot Be Opened"

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friends,

About a month ago, I upgraded my 2017 iMac from High Sierra to Mojave.

About a week ago, I successfully ran Adobe Audition CS6 on the upgraded system.

This morning, when I tried to open AA, I got: The application “Adobe Audition CS6.app” can’t be opened.

I uninstalled, then reinstalled AA, but the same "can't be opened" message appears.

All other apps from Creative Suite 6 appear to be working fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just you - there have been other posts about this too. Here is what I replied to one this morning:

'Audition CS6 should, apparently, run on Mojave. But it won't run at all on Catalina, because Catalina doesn't support 32-bit apps. Well that is what Adobe support appear to have said, anyway. If it has suddently stopped working on Mojave, we cannot tell why unless you produce the start-up logs. See here for details of what to do: Audition Crashed - now what? '

But ultimately, this is one for the devs to answer. If I get any more information, I will post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve.

Here is the log from Console:

default 08:41:22.996892 -0400 Spotlight completionString Audition CS6.app
default 08:41:23.211828 -0400 Spotlight completionString Audition CS6.app
default 08:41:23.274597 -0400 Spotlight completionString Audition CS6.app
default 08:41:24.390192 -0400 distnoted register name: com.apple.sharedfilelist.change object: com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.adobe.audition.5.0 token: f4f67 pid: 496
default 08:41:25.747789 -0400 distnoted register name: com.apple.sharedfilelist.change object: com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.adobe.audition.5.0 token: f4434 pid: 491
default 08:41:25.748451 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport applicationReady:] | App: Adobe Audition CS6, ready, updating active tracking timer
default 08:41:25.748500 -0400 loginwindow -[ApplicationManager checkInAppContext:refCon:eventData:] | checked in app : Adobe Audition CS6
default 08:41:25.784621 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport applicationQuit:] | for app:Adobe Audition CS6, _appTrackingState = 2
default 08:41:25.784642 -0400 loginwindow -[PersistentAppsSupport applicationQuit:] | App: Adobe Audition CS6, quit, updating active tracking timer
default 08:41:26.826056 -0400 ReportCrash Saved crash report for Adobe Audition CS6[4132] version 5.0x708 (5.0) to Adobe Audition CS6_2020-04-07-084126_Macintosh.crash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now know that this is as a result of a security update from Apple. Adobe have filed a report with them. When there's any news, it will be reported here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears Apple recently released "Security Update 2020-002" for older versions of MacOS and introduced some fundamental changes to OS frameworks that the older versions of Audition (and several other CS6-era Adobe applications) depended upon.  I've written an internal bug (DVAAU-4202581) for tracking and have asked our QE team to submit this to Apple as the fix needs to come from their side.  It appears this update impacted other, non-Adobe applications as well as found on at least one thread from Apple's discussion site:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251215489 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Durin,

Thanks for your response. I have not applied "Security Update 2020-002" to this machine, so that update does not appear to be the culprit here.

Do you have any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the updates for each major version of MacOS were rolled into the latest installations as well, so my hunch is that the timing and description points to it being this change.  However, I'd like to take a deeper look and confirm.  It doesn't appear that MacOS is even letting Audition CS6 launch, though, which means we won't be able to rely on Audition's logging or on a detailed crash report.  Can you email me directly at audbugs@adobe.com and we can troubleshoot further?

Thanks,

Durin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates? 

I really to get back access to Audition.

tnx, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't received any response from Apple, but I'll request a follow-up.  Unfortunately, beyond requesting they release an OS patch - and this has affected several versions of MacOS - I'm not sure what else I can suggest at the moment beyond falling back to an earlier release of MacOS before this update was released.  It appears to prevent all or most 32-bit applications from launching, at least those which require access to the audio frameworks in the OS.

----edit----

It appears this patch may be installed via OS update AND via updating iTunes and related Apple software, so avoiding the system update may not be sufficient to avoid the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple support just stated that this is 100% an Adobe issue and if a Core Audio driver needs updating it must come from them. I feel bounced 😞 I feel my only solution is to reinstall Mojave after backing up...I have a local installer which will not have the recent patch that caused the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Apple make this statement publicly somewhere, or directly to you?  According to the feedback issue reported to Apple, this should have been addressed.  However, after that message, I see some threads on Apple's own support forum that discuss different workarounds: 

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/131381

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a support phone call with them this morning. I have other 32bit audio apps still working, so I am not sure who to believe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There hasn't been any update for Audition CS6 in 8 years, so if it was ever working on this system, and it's not now, there's a different factor than Audition that's preventing it from launching.  The library that Apple modified specifically has to do with audio device interaction, which would certainly impact the ability of some 32-bit applications to operate while not affecting others.  Unfortunately, short of rolling back any recent MacOS updates to the previous, working builds, and avoiding future updates, I'm not sure what else I can recommend from the Adobe side of the fence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was definitely a Mojave patch to add compatibility with iOS 14.01 which fried Audition. I think Thursday last week I ran the updater which is when the problems started. iTunes in iOS 14 is now 'Music' and the need to tie Music/iTunes has driven this. I also use MixMeister which is 32 bit and that is unaffected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x2] Wrong architecture

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudioKit
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice: stat() failed with errno=1
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice: mach-o, but wrong architecture

I tried disabling SIP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting. This problem was fixed somewhere along the way, as my access to Audition under Mojave was restored.

Now, it's broken again. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines