Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition CS6 crashing occasionally

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've got a number of users using Audition CS6 on Windows 10. Audition is running the latest patch, V5.0.2.7.

From what I've been told, Audition is crashing whilst in use occasionally (about once a week for a couple of the users, others less often), but not always whilst the user is doing the same task. Every time it crashes, the error box that appears mentions the Visual C runtime DLL - MSVCR100.dll. After the crash, Audition recovers the audio or session that was being worked on, so it's more of an inconvenience rather than a loss of work.

We don't have any VSTs or external filter files installed - it's just vanilla Audition CS6.

We're running the latest version of Visual C runtime from Microsoft (10.0.40219.325) and I'm wondering if this is actually causing an incompatibility with Audition CS6 for some reason.

So, I have a couple of questions.

1. What version of the Visual C runtime is Audition CS6 actually expecting to use? My theory (based on some other forum posts on here) is that I can possibly take the relevant DLL for an older version of Audition CS6, and add it to the application folder for CS6 to have it explicitly use that version, to see if it helps.

2. Are there any extra debugging tools I can use to show what in particular is causing Audition to crash? I've just enabled the WER logging in Windows 10 for the Audition exe, but haven't had an instance crash since enabling it yet.

Please note, this is not a case of the Microsoft Visual C Runtime DLL being missing. It is present on the system, and Audition CS6 does work the majority of the time. It only crashes occasionally whilst the app is in use.

Thanks

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs I can't imagine that it won't work on W10, although I haven't tried it. If you're running CS6 on W10, I'm presuming that this is in a 64-bit environment, so it's being run automatically as an emulation. For most people this hasn't been a problem - it's effectively invisible, but yes I reckon you definitely need the correct C++ run-time environment. It has been suggested that having the 32-bit DLL in place, even though you're running a 64-bit system can make a difference, although that is completely unconfirmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thanks for getting back to me.

It is indeed a 64 bit OS on these machines, and Audition is running via the WOW 32 bit emulation layer as shown in Task Manager. It is using the x86 version of the Visual C Runtime from the c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder when Audition runs.

We do have a couple of users using CS6 on Windows 7 x64 as well, who report similar problems, but the majority of our users have already moved to Windows 10 so we have much more feedback from them.

I've run Process Explorer and a couple of similar apps to monitor things on Windows previously, but it's difficult asking our Audition users (who aren't always technically minded) to run Process explorer, or keep it running until I can investigate. It's also not straightforward to cause Audition to crash - there's no set sequence of events that I've heard of to make it crash on demand, but I'll try to have a play for a few hours to see if I can make it crash while Process Explorer is running.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have most versions of Audition from CS 6 thru' to CC 2019. Looking back at the earlier versions of Audition CC seem to have the MSVCR100.dll  v.10.0.30319.1 installed in the Audition program folder. So it might be worth trying that one as all these versions of Audition seem to run OK on my Win 10 PC (and Win 7 before it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ryclark​, I'll try looking for a copy of that version of Visual C runtime DLL and stick it in the app folder on a few machines, to see if it makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later and the problem STILL persists on my CS6 version on a WIN10 machine. Says a lot about Adobe's software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rather, I think it says a lot about the fact that you are running a rather old version of the software, under an OS it was not designed to work with!  There is, I would suggest, ZERO chance that Adobe will ever "update" CS6; the company's policy is, I understand, that each new release or patch is the only "update" there will ever be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines