• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Convert to Mono' Results in Silence

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Audition 2020 on a Mac. My Zoom H5 records in stereo, so when I import voice tracks for podcasts, I need to convert those to mono. Lately, converting results in silence. In the mastering workspace you can see a noise floor, but it's otherwise totally gone. I can split the channels into two tracks, but merging them (convert to mono) doesn't work. What gives? I've reformatted my SD card, no change. 

btw - I do not have spectral display open when this happens. I'm in the classic workspace.

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without you posting a bit of the file I can't tell - but this is what you'd get if you had an inverted signal on one side of the stereo to the other and they were both identical apart from the polarity. But why that should happen isn't quite clear because they shouldn't be identical... how are you doing the conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added a sample of the audio before and after conversion (disproportionately is the converted blank, so to speak; theppltypically.wav is a sample of the original stereo file). I'm in the audio editor window and using favorites/convert to mono and I've also tried exporting and telling it to export from stereo to mono.

If the signal was inverted, how would I resolve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At the RHS of the waveform, there's an L and an R in a box. If you click on one of them (doesn't matter which in this instance) it will mute that channel. If you now go to Effects>Invert it will invert just the highlighted channel and leave the muted one alone. After you've done this, then unmute the channel you muted.

If it suddenly works correctly, then this is what it is - a cancellation caused by two signals, identical in everything but polarity, being mixed together. If this makes no difference though, I really want to see a bit of that file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines