• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get multiple audio inputs (working with discord or skype)

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

A friend and I are trying to start a podcast, but the thing is they live in a different state. I am trying to get Audition to record both of our voices as separate tracks. We are currently using discord to talk. I did some youtube searches and found a video that kind of worked but didn't lol...Basically, it was a program call Elgato sound capture.

What's happening is I can output his voice through "Elgato Sound Capture" as an input on audition. The issue is that I can't record my voice on a separate track b/c it only allows one input and I can't seem to change it. I can switch between my mic and "Elgato sound capture" but not use both as inputs. Does anyone know a solution for that? The mic I'm using is the Blue Yeti. Any solution would be helpful, mainly just how to record both our vocals on two different tracks at the same time.

I hope that was too much rambling and made sesnse.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are trying to do is essentially not simple - this sort of scenario has been reducing people to tears of frustration for years now. Yes it's possible to do it, but you need to use programs like Virtual Audio Cable to do the routing, and that's really not simple to set up at all.

A method I've used in the past that's worked quite well is not to try to capture it all in real time, but to use Skype, and each of you record your own contribution at your own end, and the Skype output separately as a guide. Then whoever's putting the program together needs to get the file of the other person's recording of themselves sent to them, and you add this to the file of you, in multitrack, replacing the original Skype recording. This way, it sounds almost as though you are in the same room, and yet you have complete control of how everything sounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or alternatively use one of the Skype recording apps. However you can't really guarantee the quality of what actually gets recorded. So Steve's suggestion is best by far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark  wrote

Or alternatively use one of the Skype recording apps. However you can't really guarantee the quality of what actually gets recorded.

Or, apparently, that it will all be there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard a lot about the Virtual Audio Cable program, so I guess I'll look into it. For now, I guess we will just record separate files since that seems to be the simplest way. thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why people make this out to be so hard. Actually, it's pretty simple and you don't need any "virtual cable". I'll try to explain, the process is longer in writing but once you get it you'll see that it's fairly simple.

First you'll need something called Voicemeeter Banana, it's a free virtual mixing table.

The steps are as follow:

1. Install Voicemeeter Banana. 

2. Once installed start it and you'll see a couple of things(the sound on your computer might dissapear at this stage)

a. There will be a bunch of hardware inputs going from left to right labeled, "Hardware input 1" and so on up to 3.

This is where your physical microphone will go. Just choose it from the dropdown list and assign it to Hardware Input 1.

b. There are also hardware ouputs on the top right side, labeled A1 to A3. Here you can put your default output device on your speakers/headphones, so you can actually listen to the person you're talking to and get computer sound output to your speakers/headphones.

c. You'll also see here that there are two Virtual Inputs. If you set your computer's default output device to let's say "Voicemeeter Aux" and then choose A1 in Voicemeeter Banana you should get your normal computer sound back. See how that connects? So, for every input you select an output marked by either A1, A2, A3 or B1, B2. Now, B1 and B2 are virtual outputs, but we don't have to care about them for this use-case.

3. At this stage you should be at a point where you have computer sound and your microphone is using "Hardware Input 1" in Voicemeeter Banana. I'll just recap it here in simple steps:

a. Start Voicemeeter Banana

b. In Hardware Input 1 choose your microphone

c. In Hardware Output A1 choose your default headphones/speakers

d. In windows choose either Voicemeeter aux or Voicemeeter Vaio as your default output device

e. Make sure that A1 is selected for Voicemeeter Aux or Voicemeeter Vaio in Voicemeeter Banana.

f. Now you should have sound in your speakers/headphones.

4. Now to the fun part:

a. First, we'll tell discord to use either Voicemeeter Vaio or Voicemeeter Aux as your output device as well.

b. Second we'll tell Audition that the hardware device we want to use is "Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO". This will then per track give us a bunch of virtual inputs to choose from. For Mono they will be "VM-VAIO1-8" and for Stereo they will be "VM-VAIO1,3,5,7". Basically the same, but grouped together.

5. Ok, so let's tie it all together now, since we have the correct input devices and output devices selected for all our applications.

a. In Voicemeeter "Master Section", it's on the bottom right side with all the volume sliders, there will be one per each hardware output and virtual output. So that's A1-A3 and B1, B2. Go to the slider for B1 and choose Composite mode. This will be at the top of the volume slider, it should say "Normal mode". Just click on it until you reach composite mode.

b. Go to the settings in Voicemeeter Banana. At the top "Menu -> System settings/Options". A new window opens up and near the bottom you'll see something called "Patch composite". This is where you "route" the different inputs to different VM-VAIO outputs. So, your microphone is Hardware Input 1, so in Bus Ch 1 and 2 you choose In#1 Left, In#1 Right. For Bus Ch3 and 4 it will depend on if you chose Voicemeeter Vaio or Voicemeeter Aux. Voicemeeter Vaio is In#4 Left, Right and Voicemeeter Aux is In#5 Left, Right.

c. Once that is done go to audition and choose for track 1 -> Stereo -> VM-VAIO1 and for track 2 -> Stereo -> VM-VAIO3. And you're done! Now you have your microphone on track 1 and your discord/skype/teamspeak/pc-sound/whatever you want on track 2, completely separated and independent of each other, ready to record directly into audition.

Once you get the hang of this, you can separate even more if you want, with more inputs per Audition tracks or whatever you want to mix. Happy recording.

/Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Max,

Thank you for these helpful instructions. I have everything set up as you described, and it works mostly as expected. The audio output from Audition sounds garbled and robotic when output with Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO as the device, though. It seems like the audio itself is fine. If I change the device to Focusrite USB ASIO (for my Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen), it seems to output good audio, even if the audio was recorded with the Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO device. So I'm thinking there's something wrong with how Audition is relaying the audio back to Voicemeeter and then to my Scarlett Solo for output. I'm not sure if the issue is in Audition, Voicemeeter, or somewhere else, though. Any idea what could be wrong? 

Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allen,

Is the actual recording in Audition garbled? What I would do is also use a normal mic if you have one, just to by-pass your Focusrite. At least just to start ruling out some devices. Since I use the Rode Podcaster USB, I don't really have the exact same setup. However, I don't see why there would be a problem with your setup. But try to simplify a little and we can see if there's any "conflict" between Voicemeeter and your Focusrite.

I don't know what type of devices you get from your Focusrite, but I assume that it's seen in Voicemeeter and you can assign it as an input device? What you can also do is just to listen to yourself via Voicemeeter and see if that sounds ok or not. From your "hardware input device 1" in Voicemeeter you can just choose "A1" if that's your default speaker output and then you'll get the microphone sound in your speakers/headphones. 

/Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Max,

Thanks for the quick reply. Most of the time the actual recording is fine, but the output is garbled. If I play the recording from Audition with Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO set as the device in Audition, it's garbled, but if I play the same recording from Audition with a different device as output, it sounds fine. In both cases I'm using the same physical hardware (the Focusrite), but two different software "devices," Voicemeeter and the Focusrite driver. 

Additionally, if I keep the same output device in Audition (Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO), with the same recording, it sounds fine if I change the Voicemeeter A1 output from "Focusrite USB ASIO" to "WDM: Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)" to use my speakers. But if I change it back to "Focusrite USB ASIO" it's garbled again. 

The problem seems to be the unique combination of Audition + Voicemeeter + Focusrite Scarlett Solo. If I use Voicemeeter with the Focusrite as output, I don't have any problems listening to YouTube or other apps from it. I can even record into the Voicemeeter recorder, and it sounds good. And I can record through Voicemeeter into Audition no problem, even using the Focusrite as my input. It's just playing back the recording through Voicemeeter and the Focusrite seems to be the problem. 

I've tried adjusting buffers and such. I've also tried using the WDM and MME versions of the Focusrite for output, instead of ASIO. And I tried adjusting some of the ASIO settings to patch output instead of assigning the output to the Hardware Input directly, since I read on the VB-Audio forums that that could fix it. But no luck so far. 

I'll also add that sometimes the recording itself does get garbled. Occasionally, usually after I've adjusted settings a few times, the recording sounds bad no matter how I replay it. But I can usually tell when this happens by the waveform during recording, and most of the time the recording itself is fine. 

Allen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Allen,

It sounds like you've tried most things. But I do have some questions anyway 🙂

I'm assuming that your Focusrite input is in Hardware Input 1(not that it actually matters). Which driver are you using there, WDM/MME or ASIO?

There could be one more thing as well, as it may be troubleshootable in real-time. If your "normal" speakers aka Realtek HD Audio are in hardware out A1 and your Focusrite is in Hardware out A2, you could select A2 in "Hardware input 1". That way you'll be able to hear yourself through the Focusrite and see if it comes out garbaled at your end. You can also try to switch so your Focusrite is on A1.

I was looking at the Voicemeeter manual, and page 22 is an intersting read on ASIO routing capabilities. Have a look: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/VoicemeeterBanana_UserManual.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, when I set my speakers as output A1, the output sounds fine, but if I set my speakers as output A2 while Focusrite USB ASIO is A1, it comes out garbled even through the speakers. I tried a few different combinations, and it's bizarre how it works. 

A1:"Focusrite ASIO", A2:none = garbled
A1:"WDM: Speakers", A2: none = good sound

A1:"Focusrite ASIO", A2:"WDM: Speakers" = both garbled
A1:"WDM: Focusrite", A2:"WDM: Speakers" = both garbled
A1:"WDM: Speakers", A2:"WDM: Focusrite" = Speakers good, Focusrite garbled
A1:"MME: Focusrite", A2:"WDM: Speakers" = both good

That last configuration seems to be working for me, at least with the limited testing I did just now. At first I thought it was bad too, because the recording was hitching. It was different from the garbling. It would seem to just skip or drop for a split second, and it was in the actual recording, not just the playback. But it seemed to go away when I switched the hardware input from WDM to MME for the Focusrite. 

I *think* this setup may get me by. I reckon I just didn't try enough permutations before and got hung up on the ASIO stuff, but using Hardware Input(MME: Focusrite) and Hardware Output(MME: Focusrite) seems to get the job done. I'm going to do some more serious recording later this evening to try it out. 

As for the ASIO routing, I think that's what tripped me up earlier. I had read that method as the recommended way to do things after having some trouble, so I was trying a lot of permutations in that camp. Here's the setup I had that was giving me trouble:

Voicemeeter Potato settings 
Adobe Audition Settings 
Focusrite Scarlett Solo Settings 

Thanks for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hit Join our community on Discord, it can't open the page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

When I hit Join our community on Discord, it can't open the page

Nothing to do with us, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines