• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Help! Lost Recordings After Crash Even Though I've Been Saving!

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been working on this audio project the past week and I have been diligently saving because I was afraid of crashing and losing things. Here the series of events:

• I had been saving my file (File > Save) every 10 mins or so while working on it
  • An hour ago, Audition stops responding and after waiting awhile I decide to Force Quit
  • When I reopen, it asks if I want to recover the files, I say yes
  • Then it opens the files as they were DAYS ago! Long before hours and hours of work and countless saves!

How could this happen? I'd understand if I had been careless and hadn't been saving, but I've been saving my files regularly! Yet when I go to open those same files I had been saving over before the crash, it just opens a much earlier version of the file???

PLEASE help, I have a due date and I'm swamped with work! I had almost finished this project and if I can't find a way to retrieve those files, then I'll have hours of work ahead of me remaking it. I'm so upset and panicking with deadlines and other projects waiting for me its just too much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the time you have made that post it is probably too late.

What version of Audition are you using?

If it is a recent version then there will be a sub folder called "Backup" which should contain a number of sesx versions of the session - if not then chances are you are not going to be happy.

When you say you 'saved' did you just press save or did you actually make a backup copy of your work - given that what you are working on is probably important I'm really hoping you did but I'm guessing you didn't?

I'm also guessing that the 'recovered' version (the one from a much earlier time) has been saved or did you exit without saving it?

I'm happy to look at the session file but chances are that it is already too late.

I know it doesn't help but making backups is crucial - this application may help to make that task easier in future

SESBackup - Adobe Audition® Session File Backup Utility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What files were you saving when you say you did File>Save every 10 mins.? Also as SuiteSpot asked which version of Audition are you running and on what computer system? More details the better to try and understand your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the exact same issue happen. Weeks worth of work are deleted after the system crashed. Is there any way  to retrieve those files? Why does this happen so frienquently when using the lates version of Audition? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me too. Really disappointing does anyone know how to access the files. I did save it. Why is audition like this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we can't really tell you anything about this specifically, because you haven't told us anything at all about what has happened - not even whether it's on a Mac or a PC.

But that said, people regularly assume that the default settings for backing up session files (and those are the only things that are backed up, not the audio) are the right ones, and they may well not be. I'm going to give you some suggested settings for the Auto Save and Backup section of Preferences. If you do anything other than this (especially, for instance, selecting Creative Cloud files as an option), then all bets are off. 

Autosave settings.JPG

So keep your audio and the session file in a folder of its own, per session. Audition will generate a separate backup folder within it. I do this for all sessions, and I do this commercially. I've never lost a single session. Ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi I am a bit confused by this. keep your audio and the session file in a folder of its own, per session. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep everything to do with a session in one folder. What's complicated about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's complicated is that adobe has crashed 3x since I've started my dissertation- now past due and I (believed) i followed advice on here to prevent losing my work, but once again... near completion- idk where my session is. I din't restart and files are there- I think, but actually session I had going wasn't even recovered after reopening audition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the slightly annoying things about session file recovery is that Audition doesn't always pick the last saved session file as the one to recover from. It's always worth looking in the session file backup location and checking that there isn't a more recent one that it should have used. No I don't know why this happens, but it does from time to time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thx. spent last 4 hrs searching... i have data from immediately after crash and files from the 18/19th. Don't understand any of this. happened to copy and paste it, but actually log no longer there I think. help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines