• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pops and crackles during audio playback

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing pops and crackles during playback. The pops and crackles are not recorded in the waveform.

I'm using Windows 10 HP laptop, Apollo Twin USB interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of things: The OP already increased the buffer size (therefore latency) to what I'd regard as almost an excessive figure for a laptop with the spec it's running on, so whatever it was or is, I don't think that was it. Unfortunately we haven't heard back, so we don't know whether this has actually been resolved or not. An additional issue of course is that the present release is awaiting a patch, which will improve its performance significantly - hopefully that will be arriving soon, and it could affect all sorts of areas of operation.

An automated buffer optimising system is an interesting idea. Snaps and crackles only occur when the buffer hits 'full', and I would have thought that monitoring this and increasing the size of it incrementally wouldn't be impossible at all - so potentially at least it could be done, and without AI! Most people would probably want a manual over-ride for it though, as one of the slight snags is that the amount of buffer necessary will vary with the amount of audio fed to it. A relatively small buffer will handle a stereo stream fine, but the whole arrangement becomes more complex with a large multi-track session, and you wouldn't necessarily want the size jumping up and down all the time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure you are correct as I presume this is your field of expertise, I was just sharing what happened to me. Though after I had posted I had another issue which I think came about from the driver of the m-audio 2x2m. It seems that my system, a pc, automatically uses the windows driver and for better playback I think the ASIO driver is recommended. Of course, I just read this on the internet so no telling if it’s true or not 🙂 When I did switch the driver from MME to ASIO it crashed my system. But when I turned on the m-audio app everything worked fine including that the latency problem went away. I can now set the latency to 40ms without crackle. any way thanks for the reply. It's nice to see that someone cares enough to put an answer out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines