Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem exporting a multitrack session to mp3 source files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a problem exporting a multitrack session (.sesx) with mp3 source files.

This is what i do:

- I open the session export widnow (File > Export > Session)

- I add the name & location (I leave the format)

- I select "Include markers and other metadata in session"

- I select "Save copies of associated files" and click on "Options"

Annotation 2020-07-13 145337.png

- In options i select "Convert files" and make the format MP3 320kbps and i keep the sample rate the same

- I select "copy entire source files" from the dropdown

- I select "Overwrite existing files"

- I leave "Include Video" unselected

- I select "Include markers and other metadata"

Annotation 2020-07-13 145519.png

- I click "OK"

- Then click "OK" on the previous box

When i look at the exported files they are all WAV... Does anyone know why this is the case and how to fix it?

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
Export , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that this is a bug - I can reproduce it here, and the beta does it too. Where I would have expected to find an MP3 I found a wav, not an MP3. The solution, if you want an MP3 of your session is to export a mixdown, and if you set it up to export to MP3, it will.

In the same breath almost, I have to say that saving the source files as MP3s isn't exactly a good idea though. Audition doesn't work with MP3 at all - it can't - it opens all MP3 files as wavs, which involves a decode every time you do it. And if you resave in that format, you get a further decode. You don't have to go very far down this route before everything starts to sound pretty awful. So technically, you can't save the actual session files as MP3s, because they aren't - they are wav files. But I do agree - if you specify that these copies should be MP3s, then that's really what ought to happen.

I have put it into the bug system with a reference to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had some feedback. Apparently even though it says wav on the file extension, it's actually an MP3. I confirmed this by changing the extension, and it runs fine. Also, if you look at it, it's rather smaller than you might expect a wav file to be (a bit of a clue that I missed...)

I still think it's a bug, but not quite the one I thought. I have requested that the files are labelled with the correct extension - we'll have to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines