• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

12.02 Crashing with CR2 files

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in another thread that was similar, but I have some specifics about my problem.  Bridge 12.02 with Win 10.

I start Bridge and the folder thumbnails start being generated and refined (2 or 3 passes).  During this time, Bridge eventually closes.  Not sure if this is critical, but the files are on my NAS. 

I did the whole CAS startup and check all three check boxes.  Didn't help.  Did a reinstall and that didn't help.  FWIW, I have Bridge from CS6 also installed and that works without a problem.  Also, FWIW, when I did the reinstall I first chose to not copy info from the older CS6 version.  This caused a problem where my files on the NAS had a padlock on them and I couldn't open them.  I had encountered this before with the CS6 version and somehow found a solution.  Can't remember what the true fix is, but I re-re-installed 12.0.2 and then said to copy over the preferences from CS6 and the padlocks disappeared.  Still scratching my head on that one.  Regardless...

I speculated it may be a corrupt image file.  I created JPG, HEIC, and CR2 folders and then moved the filetypes into the appropriate folder.

Start up Bridge v12.0.2.  JPG folder.  No problem.  HEIC folder.  No problem.  And by 'No problem' I mean that I am monitoring the CPU usage of Bridge as it loads and caches the files.  You can see it doing the 2 or 3 passes of each picture as they gain some detail and the CPU usage is roughly 20-50%.  Then the caching is complete an the CPU usage drops to about 0% and I can use Bridge as expected without it closing.

Open the CR2 folder.  It's churning through the cache and then I get a dialog box stating an error occurred and asking if I wanted to report it.  Yes I do!  BUT... as I'm reading through the options of what to send to Adobe, Bridge shuts down and the error reporting dialog box disappears, too. 

I re-open Bridge and go to the CR2 folder, this time Bridge shuts down without an option to report a bug.

I re-open Bridge and go to the CR2 folder, this time it completes its caching and everything is fine.

Hmmm, seems like Bridge is crashing during the CR2 caching.  It is not a particular file, but just a matter of the bug rearing its head and shutting down the app.  If it can get though the files and generate the thumbnail caches, then it won't crash.  Memory leak?

I still want to report this bug with the dialog box, so I create a different folder with CR2 files so that Bridge will recreate the thumbnails.  Two crashes without the opportunity to report the bug.  And then on the third attempt, it was able to process the thumbnails and it is happy.

TOPICS
Bug , Camera RAW , Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Just installed Bridge on a brand new pc with Windows 11. Any folder containing more than a handful of CR2s causes the whole pc to switch off instantly. Other file types no problem. Tried the trouble shooter and running it with older Windows versions but still persists. Please help anyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paulc92952870is your system powering off?  Sounds like it.  I have a hypothesis that you are encountering thermal shut down.  Generating the thumbnails and previews uses a lot of the CPU (I've seen mine reach 70%).  There are some tools that let you monitor the CPU temp.  I recommend you install one and see how hot the processor is getting before it shuts down.  Here is an article I googled with some pointers...  https://www.cputemper.com/maximum-and-normal-cpu-temperature/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much I'll try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have run a CPU temp app. Before I opened Bridge most of the cores were running in the 50s and 60s Degrees C. I opened Bridge with a folder containing only Jpgs and the temp went up to the 70s but didn't crash as expected. Then I opened a folder containing CR2s. The temp momentarily peaked into the 80s several times and once showed 92C then crashed. I'll have to install a cooling system and see if it persists. Thanks so much for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it appears the bug has propagated to my CS6 version of bridge.  Thus, probably not the bridge code, but some shared code to handle CR2s.  This is definitely a relatively new issue, since I never encountered this until joining Creative Cloud about a month ago.  Unfortunately, I am also unable to re-encounter the bug report dialog box, so I'm unsure how to report this to Adobe.  I'll see if there is a better forum besides Bridge...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding more info in the event someone at Adobe is investigating in the background.

I can confirm it is not a specific file.  I had all of my pics in the '/MyPics/' folder.  I then moved all of the CR2s into the '/MyPics/CR2' folder.  I opened bridge and went to the '/MyPics/' folder.  No problem since there were no CR2s.  I then moved the CR2 files using File Explorer one at a time.  I could see Bridge update with each file being added.  Eventually, I added a file and Bridge closed.  I reopened Bridge and it opened to the '/MyPics/' folder and created the preview (It only seems to close during the 'Generating Preview' stage) - it did not close this time.  With the preview generated I can now exit and enter this folder all I want without an issue.  I then created a folder '/MyPics/Bad' and copied the photo that caused Bridge to close into it.  Using File Explorer I Ctrl-A->Ctrl-C->Ctrl-V a few times to get 128 files (in the 'MyPics' foldere there were only about 50 CR2 files when it was closing).  I then asked Bridge to open the '/MyPics/Bad' folder and it did without closing.  So, not a corrupt file, just some code path that gets hit every now and then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I'll try this. I found it makes no difference what drive the CR2s are being read from. It does the same either with my SSD or external. Also tried numerous folders containing different CR2s but always shuts down as the thumbnails are generating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines