• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge 2023 crashes on startup

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my Adobe Bridge 2023 version. Since then, the moment I start Bridge, it crashes.

I'm using MacOSX Monterey, 12.6.1 on an iMac, Late 2015. Bridge version is 13. 

The message I get only says: "Sorry, something went wrong. This is likely an issue at our end, but it could be that you're not connected to the Internet. Please check your connection and then try again later. If you're still having issues, please see our troubleshooting guide". There's only one button (Dismiss) and when pressed, Bridge closes. 

I've restarted the computer, internet connection works fine, I've uninstalled Bridge and installed it again, but nothing works. I've also tried to Reset preferences, reset the default workspace, and purge the cache, but it doesn't work. On the other hand, Photoshop works perfectly fine. 

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

David,

I'm at a complete loss. About half a year ago, I and a 5k iMac, but I never upgraded to 12 before I left it. (I now have a Mac Studio). Anyhow, if there were an issue with your processor being too old or your GPU not big enough, the installation would probably have mentioned that. In addition, if PS is running, there's no reason why Bridge would not. 

I'm assuming that you've done a standard installation and do not have the Bridge application stored on a networked server in Brazil or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you have a snapshot of the error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reset your preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-bridge-windows.html

<moved from download&install>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply

I already tried it, as I mentioned, but it doesn't work. The only difference is that after resetting my preferences, I see the "what's new carousel". And then it crashes again.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

were you able to confirm the preferences were reser (eg, by seeing something you'd changed from default being reset back to default?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not 100% sure. Before it crashes, I'm seeing the default workspace configuration. I have spaces organized my way and the setup is different. But on the other hand, I see on top of the screen the different setups, and mine (David workspace) that is still there. If I've reset the preferences, it shouldn't be there, right? 

Is there any way to manually reset the preferences? Remove some files or folders?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, when I try to reset my preferences, as explained in that article you pointed, I only see two options to reset (Reset Preferences and Purge the cache). It says nothing about reset the default workspace. Is that normal?

I'm attaching a screenshot of this step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI David,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Please keep in mind that many, many, many people, such as myself, have not encountered your issue. My guess is that there's something with your system. Yes, it's a game of finger pointing but there is a real problem and hopefully, we can find a real answer. 

Here are a couple of other things to try:

1) Restart into Safe Mode. I'm going to let you google how to do that as there are many videos and text for that. Since I do not know if you are using an Intel or M1 chip, the process changed from one to the other. So be sure you are looking at the relevant options.

2), Also, look up how to start in "Repair mode" There are some basic maintenance things you can do in that, it's worth trying those repair processes.

3) There are two very good Mac System maintenance applications; one is free, and the other has a minimal charge. FWIW, I've been paying the "paid" one for years because it got me out of a big jam years ago.

the free: Onyx (http://www.onyxmac.com/)

the one with the charge (but free trial): (https://www.northernsoftworks.com/venturacachecleaner.html) [Note: as the Mac system continues to advance, each time there's a new system name, there's a new name for this product. Thus, with the new Ventura system, this product is now called Ventura Cache Cleaner. It will work on older systems, but this is now updated for the new systems. As updates to the system are released, you may have to occasionally update this app. There is no charge for these updates — only when there is a new Mac OS with a new name is there ever an update charge.

I've never done a back-to-back cross-check with these applications because once the problem is "fixed," it's not possible to see if the other one can fix it better/faster/slicker.

FWIW, any time my system is doing something "not right," I run one or the other of these applications. Nonetheless, whatever issue you are having, I extremely doubt it's due to an Adobe issue. Rather, it does seem to be manifesting itself in Bridge.

Now see if the problem continues to exist.

Let us know if any of these (and which one) solved the problem or does it continue to exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary, 

Thanks for your answer. Yes, you might be right, it may be a problem with my system too. I'll follow your suggestion and let you know how it goes.

If I'm not understanding you wrong, once I've started in safe mode, the goal is to launch Bridge again and see if it crashes, right?

Warm regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if it doesn't crash, that's an indication that it's your system, not Bridge. 

In addition, you can create a "test" user on your system. To do this, go into Users in your System Prefs, and create a new user (mine is called "Testy." Yes, very creative). I'd also suggest you use the same admin password so that you do not forget it. Restart in Testy (or whatever you'll call it) and see if things work. Remember, though, that this is a new user, and all of the passwords, etc. are not known to this user. So have your passwords available. 

What either will show you is if something in your system is broken and/or interfering with normal operations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary,

I don't know what to try, everything I've tried has failed 😞

• I restarted in safe mode. Same issue
  • I used Onyx to clean the system (just in case). Bridge also crashed. I uninstalled Bride, use Onyx, install again. But it crashed again.
  • I have a second user with administrator privileges. Bridge crashed
  • I created the Testy user from scratch, with administrator privileges. Bridge crashed too.

I'm thinking it's either something too general that would require a clean installation of the OS, or that there's some compatibility issue with Bridge 2023 and my Mac setup (model, intel processor, OS...). 

Do you have any other idea of what to try? Or do you know if there's a folder or file where I can see the crashing logs?

Warm regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I'm at a complete loss. About half a year ago, I and a 5k iMac, but I never upgraded to 12 before I left it. (I now have a Mac Studio). Anyhow, if there were an issue with your processor being too old or your GPU not big enough, the installation would probably have mentioned that. In addition, if PS is running, there's no reason why Bridge would not. 

I'm assuming that you've done a standard installation and do not have the Bridge application stored on a networked server in Brazil or something like that. (Even if you lived in Brazil, having the Bridge app on a server would kill it right off.

Some of the things that are popping into my brain include having a proper cache space, but that, and all of the other issues, woulda/shoulda have been fixed with the "Resetting Preferences." [Sorry that I misremembered and called Default Workspace earlier.]

Meanwhile, can you go to the 2022 release of Bridge so you can get some work done? If you need me to show you the way how, let me know. And for me meanwhile, I'll keep on investigating this and see if I can come up with something else.

Oh wait, there's a thought, do you, by any chance, have two copies of Bridge 2023 installed in your system? If so, delete them both and then reinstall. Also, look inside (user) -> Library -> Application Support -> Adobe -> Bridge 2023. If after uninstalling any multiple versions, see if this folder exists. If it does, then manually toss it. Reboot, then reinstall. 

If you did not have multiple copies of 2023, ignore the previous paragraph.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary!

As you were saying, if I had some hardware or software requirement that I didn't meet, I would expect the installation process to warn me… but it wasn't the case 😕

Jejeje… no, no… I have a local installation of Bridge, not in a server somewhere 🙂

I checked and I didn't have multiple copies of 2023's version. 

But what finally worked is what you suggested, to downgrade to 2022's version. I uninstalled the newest version, and installed the previous one. Everything works fine now. I guess I'll stay with this version for a while.

In any case, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Have a wonderful day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so that was it. 

Just out of curiosity, how old is your computer? I didn't even think to consider that if Bridge allowed you to install it, it would still not be viable. Well, I'm glad that 2022 works and I hope you are able to upgrade your system soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought it early 2016... it's old, but not that old 🙂

But that's the weird thing... PS uses way more resources than Bridge. And PS 2023 works fine. And I assumed that if my computer didn't meet the hardware or software requirements, I wouldn't be able to install... 

Anyway, that's it 🙂 Yeah, I'm planning to update my system soon

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Old in computer terms is quite a bit different than in just about any other commodity. 

Part of the issue is that hardware folks are always trying to get faster and fancier. Software companies are always trying to get more innovative and fancier. Each is dependent upon the other, so there is this constant leapfrogging taking place. 

For many years I had a 2015 5K iMac that was still functioning very well, and the speed was tolerable. But, I also knew that it was getting on in (computer) years. So this year, I got a new Mac Studio. Simply, it's a sad game we play with hardware and software — it's an addiction in a manner of speaking (LOL). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice this worked for you, and this is exactly my last resort I was thinking; I tried every workaround I could think of, none worked! I will downgrade to 12.x until they fix it in the next release..

can you please share where did you find an old version of Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is happening to me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still struggle, just contact Support and ask for direct link of the release 12.x of Bridge, they gave me a direct link to 12.0 which is good until they fix this issue in next release of Bridge 13.x

so it's basically a downgrade; I worked with 12. in the past just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late to the party but I was just having a similar issue with Bridge 2023 crashing at startup on my Macbook Pro 2016 running Monterey. Uninstalling 2023 and replacing it with 2022 v. 12.0.3.270 got me up and running. This is the only CC App that I have had an issue with. Happy to share the crash report if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please share where did you find an old version of Bridge?

I tried all means but none woked, and indeed the issue started only on 13.0.1 and 13.0.2

I tried the following (order not importand):

1. uninstalling, and unstall (tha latest 13.0.2) via CC
  2. installing a prerelease version via CC
  3. renaming and deleting this cache folder: "C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Cache"
  4. tried restricting user/system write permissions etc. on that folder/directory
  5. cleaned my computer with ccleaner
  6. restarted the computer

please correct me if that is not the folder some fixes here refer to to be renamed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the uninstall via the CC app and if you scroll down for apps to install, you will find a few options for previous options. I did not have to hunt down resource or preference files, let alone rename anything. I've had to cobble together printer drivers and such but there was nothing Herculean involved with Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I just contacted Support and asked for the release 12.x of Bridge, they gave me a direct link to 12.0 which is good until they fix this issue in next release of Bridge 13.x

so it's basically a downgrade;  I worked with 12. in the past just fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share the link for  Bridge 12.x  or how to contact support?  Rhetorical question: it is now August 2023; why 9 months later is this still an issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines