• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge Batch Rename Out of Order

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Batch Rename daily. I'm trying to Batch Rename 800+ wedding photos. I moved them to be in sequential order with my second shooter's images and also integrated film scans. I do this every day and have never had issues, but the Batch Rename isn't working. It's working in the sense that it is changing the file names, but they aren't in the order that I put them in and am instructing Bridge to put them into. I'll put them in a perfect order, Batch Rename them, and then 'sort by filename' afterwards and the photos jump around and are renamed very randomly - and they're actually even more out of order than they were before I renamed them. I cannot figure out what the problem is and have tried different phrasing, etc. to try and rename but it's still putting files completely out of the order that I put them in. Anyone have any ideas why this is occurring and how to fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

OK, so I am guessing that you did not use the “preserve filename” option or create duplicate files when originally renaming, so no easy way to revert to the original filenames.

Bridge, ExifTool (and other software) has the ability to rename files using key metadata tags found in the file. Such as the original date, time, shutter count value, unique image ID etc. This way you could return the filenames to a “natural sort order”. Then you could rename them again and hopefully the input order would

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Just updated to Bridge CC version 8.1.0.383. For this shoot, I took some photos on the ground, and then some from the air. The blue-ish ones were all taken at the same time, and the others were taken prior to that. They all got intermixed, though, when I tried to batch rename the 650+ images.

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.28.28 AM.png

Additionally (maybe this is for a separate thread), it also creates duplicates of some of the files, which includes the .XMP file. Bridge added the (1) to the new files, and they're almost as big as the originals, so my images start to take up about twice the space on my computer when I batch rename them:

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 11.27.53 AM.png

Any ideas anyone has would be much appreciated!

Oh, and using an iMac:

macOS High Sierra (ver. 10.13.5)

Processor: 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used the “preserve original filename” option then you can easily revert.

The batch rename window has a preview option to view the before/after processing list, which is a good idea before running the batch rename.

I don’t know why you are getting duplicate files, I can see that you are using a sequential number of 3 digits but not sure how many files are being renamed and what their start point is for numbering?

As for fixing, are the dates in the files still correct? What about the metadata dates/times?

Outside of Bridge, there are many free and low cost batch file renaming software options. I personally favour ExifTool as it supports many different metadata tags and is very flexible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll look into ExifTool. Always looking for things to improve my workflow!

As for the files being renamed, there were about 655 files I was renaming. I started them over at "000" for numbering. As far as I could tell, the dates and times in the metadata are still correct. All the files that somehow got created give yesterday's date (or the day before - whichever day it was) in the "Date Modified" column, but the renamed files have the date the original file was created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I am guessing that you did not use the “preserve filename” option or create duplicate files when originally renaming, so no easy way to revert to the original filenames.

Bridge, ExifTool (and other software) has the ability to rename files using key metadata tags found in the file. Such as the original date, time, shutter count value, unique image ID etc. This way you could return the filenames to a “natural sort order”. Then you could rename them again and hopefully the input order would be used as the correct sequence.

EDIT: Of note, it appears that Bridge uses the current display sort order as the order for input in the batch rename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just started getting a similar problem. Out of a batch of say 40, I'm getting one getting a wrong date. Usually one day after the shot was taken. I don't want more software, I want Bridge to get it right.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Me too - and even though I have preserved the original file name, I am sometimes not discovering the problem until I am at least 3/4 of the way through editing in lightroom, which means I would have to figure out how to rename the edited files as well! Hope this gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines