• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge permanent CPU usage

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I let Bridge index a folder of RAW files, initially the CPU usage is high, then it drops after all RAW files have been indexed.

But Bridge continues to use 20-25% CPU, even if it apparently is doing nothing. When I exit Bridge (i.e. I close the window), this 20-25% CPU continues in the background.

It only stops when I kill the Bridge process in the task manager.

Is there any way to preven Bridge from using 20-25% CPU when it's doing nothing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Hi @Alfred5E88 

Thanks for your feedback.
Could you share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • System configuration
  • Is the issue specific to particular files/format?

Please share the sample file/files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

In response to my earlier post, Adobe contacted me and arranged for three of their Bridge team to come online and look at the CPU problem on my PC.  They are aware of the problem and they are working on it.  There was no indication as to when they would have a solution but that will depend on what they find is causing the problem.  Meantime the simple workaround is to use Bridge 12 which is fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe adobe is owner of power some powerplants ... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Bridge 13.0.3.   CPU usage is continuously around 40 percent or above regardless of what I am doing. This continues for hour after hour without a break. I have reverted to Bridge 12.0.4 where CPU usage hovers around 2 percent

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8920
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Good to know Adobe are aware of and are working on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to sound dramatic but it does seem like Bridge 13 was literally giving me headaches.
Upgraded to Bridge 13.

Macbook Pro M2 fans struggled to cope with Bridge's excessive processor usage.
This caused an electrical smell mild enough that I didn't notice, presumably from heated components.
Others entering my office started commenting on the smell (it's a small space).
I started noticing an increase in headaches, presumably from the toxic smell. 

Rolled Adobe Bridge back to version 12.

Looking forward to a fix in the next version Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not bad. 3 months later its still unuseable and burning my cpu. well done adobe....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to my earlier post, Adobe contacted me and arranged for three of their Bridge team to come online and look at the CPU problem on my PC.  They are aware of the problem and they are working on it.  There was no indication as to when they would have a solution but that will depend on what they find is causing the problem.  Meantime the simple workaround is to use Bridge 12 which is fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The latest beta build 13.0.4 contains fix for the issue, could you please try and validate if that resolves the issue for you.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-beta-is-now-available-13-0-4/td-p/138...
Regards,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge Beta 13.0.4 has fixed the CPU problem for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close, but not there yet. The Beta version of Bridge still clocks infinite CPU on my Windows 11 desktop and on my Windows 10 laptop. Here is a 4 minute video demo, hopefully a better description. 

https://www.arkacy.com/Other/Temp-Upload/n-5RJTN/i-Z4N8cW3/A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid to ask what might happen on a Mac! Thanks for staying in top of this and then communicating with us!😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mini update after poking around in the beta version: It appears that the single variable causing the CPU issue is the thumbnail size. On my system, with a 2560 X 1440 monitor, if I set the thumbnail sizes to have a maximum of 170 pixels on the long side there is no infinite CPU clocking.

With that small thumbnail size I can display many or few panels, change all preview options, make the Bridge window any size, fool around with other variables, and there is no CPU clocking. But bump the thumbnail size to the next largest option, and CPU clocking starts.

There are two root folders in the Bridge cache named "256" and "1024". The jpegs in the "256" folders are all sized at 256x170. The jpegs in my "1024" folders are all sized at 2560 pixels long side because I have "Generate Monitor Sized Previews" set in my preferences. Yours may vary.

Do you see the clue? If Bridge is set to display thumbs at 170 or smaller it uses the jpegs in the "256" cache folders. But if you display larger thumbs, Bridge uses the jpegs in the "1024" folders and downsizes them as needed. And something is wrong in that process, causing the infinite CPU problem. I suspect Bridge gets caught in a loop continuously downsizing the "1024" jpegs to fit the selected display thumbnail size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another discovery: The "new" Bridge V13.0.3.693 and the Beta are both ignoring the "Generate Monitor-Size Previews" option under Edit/Preferences/Advanced. They are both generating 2048 pixel sized images in the "1024" folder cache, regardless of actual monitor size. All prior versions are OK.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today (8/13/23) my Windows 11 Creative Cloud offered updates to both the Beta version and the main version of Bridge. The Beta version went to 14.0.0.57. The main version went to 13.0.4.755.

I updated both and tested the CPU usage. Still no joy. My Win11 CPU continues to clock forever at 12% to 40% depending on the size and number of thumbnails displayed. And as I reported and demonstrated earlier, it will stop clocking CPU if I reduce the thumbnail size to ity bity and immediately return to an original larger size. But then it starts clocking again when I navigate away from the folder and back again.

This link https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/fixed-issues.html#aug-2023 has notes on fixed issues. It says "CPU usage remains high...", but that line does not link to anything, so I guess that means it is still outstanding. Hard to tell if that means Adobe thinks it's fixed or not.

So, Adobe if you are listening, it's not fixed. You're still draining batteries and overheating laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activity Monitor showed Adobe Bridge 13 was running my brand new M1 Macbook's processor at ~350%.

Unfortunately the suggested fixes here didn't work.

After 2 weeks a strong electrical burning smell began permeating my small office.

Ignored it for a week but started feeling ill.

Took the Macbook in for a service and was told a component on the logic board was burnt. 
I've switched to using the Finder for image browsing for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. As long as Adobe Bridge i open, it continues to make my CPU hurt, even long after it should be done indexing and building thumbnails and previews,  the fans spinning, noticable decline in system speed overall. It's also painfully slow just to scroll, create a stack, drag a file anywhere. For the most part Bridge is almost unusable

My specs are:

• Adobe Bridge version 13.0.3
  • Mac OS Ventura
  • Mac Mini (late 2018) 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
  • RAM: 32GB

I have the same issue wether or not I'm using my eGPU with an AMD Vega 56 card, because Bridge does not support this card for accellerated performance (even though Mac OS and most other Adobe apps make use if the card - yeah - why is that?! Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects with all their advanced realtime graphics processing, encoding and rendering will use the eGPU, but Bridge which is basically a thumbnail-based file browser, can't support my graphics card... that's just utterly unacceptable). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same CPU problem with Bridge 13.0.3.  I suggest you try the latest Beta version of Bridge - version 13.0.4.  It fixed the CPU problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have acess to beta apps, already trying Photoshop Beta, but can't find Bridge 13.0.4 in Creative Cloud Desktop - are you on Windows perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, found it 🙂 Now to try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, THANKS for the tip! Instant improvement! This beta is even less buggy than the official release! They should just go ahead and release it in its current state, it can only be perceived as better than Bridge 13.0.3, which is currently doing major harm to customer experience!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got another update to Bridge Beta today. Now version 14.0.0.94.
Still no fix to the CPU problem. Symptoms the same as reported earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @redcrown on guard ,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us. Apologize for the inconvenience.

We would like to gather more information to investigate this issue further. It would be of great help if we could connect over a virtual call. If this works, please share the timezone/preferred slot at sharewithbr@adobe.com

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Bridge team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received email from you saying "We have sent and invite for 10:30 AM US time for Tuesday (5th September)."

I responded, "I have no idea what this means. An invite to what?"

No word since then. Still no idea what I'm invited to and how I get there. Or which "10:30 AM US time". There are 4 of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An invite to what? It says in the msg. Virtual call.
10:30 AM US google timezones and convert to your own timezone.
When you respond to them, as they stated you should, I guess you will recieve a mail or invitation to a virtual call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @redcrown on guard ,

Apologies. There was a miss from our end. You must have received a Microsoft Teams invite now.

Regards,

Bridge team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have another update. Photoshop 25 was released yesterday, and a Bridge update to version 14.0.0.102 came along for the ride. The Bridge Beta is still at version 14.0.0.94 and ACR did not change either. ACR still at version 15.5.1.1597.

A test of the CPU problem shows no joy. Still clocking constant CPU when larger thumbnails are displayed. I assume this Bridge update was just to make it integrate with the new Photoshop and nothing else.

I participated in a video conference with Adobe techs a few days ago and was able to demonstrate the CPU issue clearly. They had me email a log file to them, so maybe there is hope. I'm still surprised and confused that they apparently can not duplicate the issue in-house.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @redcrown on guard ,

Thanks for taking out time to share the logs and the required information in our connect session.

With your help, we were able to reproduce the issue at our end and are investigating it actively. We will keep you posted once a Beta or Main release is out with a fix.

Regards,

Bridge team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines