• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After labelling/tag with red or green colours in Adobe Bridge, files appear as .XMP in Finder/drive?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance using Adobe Bridge. I began looking into this as I found it increasingly difficult to browse and organize my photos shot in .ARW

I've located them through bridge, wherein I was impressed with how easy it was to preview and organize the photos. When I went to check if the green labels I had assigned in Bridge were also applied to the main file in my Finder (on my external drive), it appears all files I've opened in Adobe Bridge are now saves as .XMP

When attempting to access these files, it opens Apple's photo app (which I'd like to completely avoid doing as I can't stand the file management through here). Why are the files converting to XMP? Is there any way to avoid this? What are best practices when I'm simply looking to review and "Accept" or "reject" photos from a photoshoot with 100's of photos shot in raw?

TOPICS
Batch , Camera RAW , How to , Image processor , Metadata , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

first off be aware that you cannot save any information in a raw file so what's taking place is the XMP, sidecar file is holding any information or charges you make on a raw file. Do not toss or separate the raw file from the XMP file or the data will be lost. 

as far as the application to open the file, do you have Photoshop on your computer?

If so, go into Bridge's Preferences and go to file association. Then select the file format you have and go to the drop down menu to select Photoshop. 

gaood luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary, thanks for your response. 

I've attempted to go into bridge preferences and check file association but I don't see .XMP - the only options I see beginning with X are seen in the attached screenshot. 

I'm slowly beginning to understand the concept behind XMP as I watched a video which was pretty helpful. With that being said, I'm still trying to connect the dots and feel as if I'm missing something or not understanding something completely. 

Where can I find my original files without any XMP data? Say for example, if I'd like to send to a friend of mine to edit in its most basic, uneditted .arw version??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XMP sidecar files should only show in Bridge if you are viewing hidden files. If you have that setting turned off, only your RAW files should show in the Bridge window.

Your files haven't been converted, the XMP file is created to store your edits (in this case adding labels.) The original RAW file hasn't been touched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response - I'm just trying to locate my original files. Do you know where I'd be able to find these?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your original RAW files haven't moved or been changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sorry I wasn't specific enough.

The xmp is a file that supports the raw format for carying the information needed to follow the changes and additions you make. You do not "Open" the xmp format, rather the ARW format from your Sony camera.

So go into the Prefs and select the following:

thingy.png

Now, one side suggestion: If you convert your images into the DNG format, the DNG format is a container format that holds any changes you make. The original raw image, like the ARW, CR2, etc. remains unchanged in the DNG format. This is also the same with JPG images which are also a container format. But be forwarned on JPGs becuase there's nothing you can see in either the Finder or Explorer that lets you know that a JPG image has been adjusted in Adobe Camera Raw. So if you adjust a JPG and then send that image to someone, they will see the image as it was BEFORE any changes were made (unless they also have Adobe Camera Raw). As such, if you do make adjustments on a JPG, you should resave it as a JPG before sending it to someone. 

And FWIW, I've been converting my images into the DNG format for at least 10 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines