• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch re-name change file extension to unreadable

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently tried to do a batch rename in bridge, but in doing so I can no longer open my files using any application on my computer.  The images were a .cr2 file, now they are undreadable.  I'm not even sure how to find out what the file extension is.  Any ideas how to change them back??? thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Sorry, wrong option highlighted in my previous screenshot, untick this setting:

hide-exten.png

So please forget Bridge for now, just make the files workable in your normal Windows file browser… Then it may all make more sense when viewed in Bridge.

You can select one file in Bridge, then use Batch Rename with settings similar to the following, obviously changing .PNG to your .CR2 raw format extension:

rename.png

Test that it opens OK into Camera Raw. If it works for one file, then select all of the rest of them and update t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File extensions are often hidden in an attempt to prevent such problems. What OS, Mac or Win?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 10:

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 07.43.11.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 07.43.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my normal view in Bridge - thumbnails viewable, file extenstions visible:

Here is my view in the folder that I did a batch re-name - images are no longer viewable, file extensions not visible - I can't click on the image (which is a raw data file) and ask to open in adobe camera raw - nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshots are too small to read any of the filenames. Can you post new images that are legible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the strange thing - there are literally no file extensions on the renamed images.  I clicked all different views, I've opened properties - it still shows me all my camera settings, but it's like the rename changed it to an unknown file type.  (not sure if this is any better of a screenshot or not)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly that screenshot is no better. If you click on my screenshots, you will see that the text is legible. If you click on your screenshots, you will see that they are small, blurry and illegible… Would there happen to be period . (dot) characters in the middle of your filename in one or more places?

Can you copy the filename to the clipboard and paste it into your reply so that I can see the full name? Please do this for three random files so that I can check for consistency in the file name pattern.

If you have changed your Windows settings to show hidden filename extensions and there is still no filename, then perhaps you did indeed remove it when batch renaming. You can try adding a valid filename extension in Windows File Explorer and or Adobe Bridge, as in my post #5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just attempted the batch rename using the file extension example above - that worked!!  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, glad to be of help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, wrong option highlighted in my previous screenshot, untick this setting:

hide-exten.png

So please forget Bridge for now, just make the files workable in your normal Windows file browser… Then it may all make more sense when viewed in Bridge.

You can select one file in Bridge, then use Batch Rename with settings similar to the following, obviously changing .PNG to your .CR2 raw format extension:

rename.png

Test that it opens OK into Camera Raw. If it works for one file, then select all of the rest of them and update the filename extension.

The above demo was with the filename extension totally removed, however it you have accidentally renamed the filename extension to be something else then at least you will know what the invalid extension is if you show the filename extensions in Windows.

EDIT: It appears that showing/hiding filename extensions has no effect in MS Windows. Bridge still shows the extension, when Explorer does not:

bridge-vs-explorer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen, can you please help me in iMac? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that something like this? Changing an incorrect extension to a known correct extension:

batch-rename.png

Or if there are no valid extensions, the file format can usually be inferred from file information/metadata:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/09/exiftool-automatically-adding-missing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yup!! that is very much it!! thank you so much!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines