Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch rename - substitute repetitions

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have run a batch rename that has gone wrong and can't undo. Now my files contain repetitions: Asia.jpgAsia.jpgAsia.jpgAsia.jpg

Is there a way to use String Substitution to identify and remove repetitions?

Many thanks

TOPICS
Batch , How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use what are called "regular expressions" to deal with complex patterns. Google the term for tutorials and sample code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this sort of pattern matching is perfect for a regular expression based string substitution.

One of many possible regular expressions would be:

Find:

(\w+\.jpg)(.+)

Replace:

$1

If you had a mixture of file extensions (.jpg .tif .psd etc), then different code would be used rather than just the .jpg extension.

Some other valid regex find/replace combos include:

(\w+\.jpg|\w+\.psd)(.+)
$1

(.+)([A-Z][a-z0-9]*?\.\w*?$)
$2

(.+)([A-Z][a-z0-9]*?\.[^\.]+$)
$2

You can use one of the many sites such as regex101.com to explore the expressions as there are other valid choices, some more elegant than others, some more robust, some may be equivalent etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, I'm trying to get my head around regex!

My example was actually wrong, what I have at the moment is:

AsiaAsiaAsiaAsia.jpg 

that should become

Asia.jpg

Can you recommend a solution to this?

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having multiple examples would help as the pattern may not be consistent.

For example, if I presumed that the pattern:

AsiaAsiaAsiaAsia.jpg

Was always the first 4 characters from the left, or the last 4 characters from the right after the file extention... But that would not help for EuropeEuropeEuropeEurope.jpg

If your pattern is an uppercase letter followed by varying lengths of lowercase letters, then one of my previous suggestions works:

Find:

(.+)([A-Z][a-z0-9]*?\.[^\.]+$)

Replace:

$2

regex101.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous regex presumed a pattern of the first character being an uppercase letter, followed by any combination of letters or numbers... 

This may (or may not be) be more robust:

(.+)([A-Z].+\.[^\.]+$)

Again we need samples, samples, samples...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is all very useful, thank you!

I don't have any patterns unfortunately, the only pattern is the repetition.

Sometimes the title starts with an uppercase, some others with lower case. Some contain spaces and some underscores. I feel this is very complicated.

I'll try and see if I can run multiple batch rename without making it any worse.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To try stop rename problems, I'd suggest that you play things safe in the future:

* Manually backup the originals first, or use the Batch Rename feature to copy the files to another directory

* Embed the original filenames in the XMP metadata so that they can be recovered if things go wrong (there is a preset to restore the preserved filename, the key is to preserve it first)

* Use the preview button to open up the window to double check all files, don't trust the quick preview at the bottom 100%

It is quicker to restore/recover backups than to try to rename a rename that had issues.

Bridge-Batch-Rename.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines