• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch renaming

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I batch rename my files the file type changes from "JPEG file" to "jpg)". Once it does this and I go back to the files I cannot open them. Why is this and can I get them back?

TOPICS
Batch , Import and export , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Hi Douglas,

Is there any chance you manually typed in "jpg)"? That closing paranthesis is what's causing the problem. I've never ever seen that placed in a suffix before but I'm still young (69) and computer can do amazingly stupid things. Try manually removing the ")" and see if you image will then open up. 

You do not say if you are on Mac or Windows but I'm unaware of any Mac approach that can automatically delete the ")" so you may have to do it manually to all of the affected images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jpeg, I think might include a special Mac encoding, but since I'm on Win, this is just a guess. you should be able to open them by changing the name back to jpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Douglas,

Is there any chance you manually typed in "jpg)"? That closing paranthesis is what's causing the problem. I've never ever seen that placed in a suffix before but I'm still young (69) and computer can do amazingly stupid things. Try manually removing the ")" and see if you image will then open up. 

You do not say if you are on Mac or Windows but I'm unaware of any Mac approach that can automatically delete the ")" so you may have to do it manually to all of the affected images.

Meanwhile, please let us know if this works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't notice the ")", Gary. I don't think a file labeled .jpeg will open on Win. I've only seen that on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

Not sure I understand your comment but I know that on a Mac if you have a suffix of (say) png but the image is a jpg, it will not open. The suffix has to agree with the file type. If Douglas' images are in fact being given a jpg) suffix, they will not open because there is no file type of jpg).

Oh wait, I just tried this and it opened up just fine. Can you please check this on a PC?

Perhaps the question that I should have asked is did he intend to save the images as jpgs or something else. 

Photoshop has a bug that's been around since PS 5 (that I know of) where on the Mac if you have a Save window open and you see any file that you want to use the name of that file as the name of the image you want to save, you'll end up with that suffix as well. For example, if you have written a story and it's called My Story.docx, and you Option click on that with the intent to name your image "My Story.jpg" it will end up being called "My Story.docx". At this point you'll get a warning that there is a file already with that name but if you do not recognize what took place and name it "My Story2.docx" you cannot get that file to open up.

Photoshop is the ONLY application I've found that has this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Gary, I'll be dipped. Win will open a file with the extension jpeg. Guess that's changed since they now allow over three letter extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Post a screenshot with the entire Batch Rename dialog showing so we can see what you are doing.

Be aware, there is a bug if you have a double period in a filename (foo..jpg) where the file extension is removed. Check to see if that is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines