• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2021 and Photo Downloader.app

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was contemplating getting a newer operating system as well as a newer Mac in the near future and ran Go64 which reports what programs are 64-bit and what is 32-bit which would no longer run. It reports, in part, that while Adobe Bridge 2021 version 11.0.1.109 is a 64-bit application, one part of the program, Photo Downloader is still 32-bit and would not work. This sub-application is version 8.0 and dates from 2006. First off, what does it do and secondly will it get an update to something newer so it will continue to work in Big Sur and beyond?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo Downloader opens when you’re in Bridge and choose File > Get Photos from Camera. In other words, it’s a direct camera import module that allows pre-processing of files as you import them (by applying presets like file naming and metadata, and auto-organizing into subfolders), kind of like the Import module in Lightroom.

It’s useful, but I don’t use it because I import through Lightroom Classic.

64-bit compatibility might not be a real issue…it’s a little weird. I also ran Go64 and it said Photo Downloader was not 64-bit, but here is the weird thing: I am running macOS 10.15 (Catalina) which is not supposed to allow running 32-bit applications, but Photo Downloader certainly runs on my Catalina Mac, or at least it starts up. So it is possible that Photo Downloader is somehow mislabeled and works anyway.

For reference, here is the official Adobe tech note talking about Bridge compatibility with Big Sur. Photo Downloader is not listed, so maybe it’s OK for Big Sur and Apple Silicon.

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/bridge-and-macos-big-sur.html

If you want to find Photo Downloader and examine it further, it’s kind of hidden, which is why it doesn’t show up in the macOS System Information app. To find it:

1. In the Applications folder on your Mac, right-click the Adobe Bridge application (not the folder), and choose Show Package Contents. 
  2. Dig down into Contents > MacOS. Photo Downloader is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that explains things but I would prefer correct labeling to avoid any false warnings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines