• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2023 Does not open from Mac Dock as previous versions and indeed the Ps 2023

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since down loading Bridge 2023 today, it does not open with one click from the dock on my Mac, previous versions always did. Ps always does even now with 2023.

Its anoying, so can a quick tweak sort it please.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Try removing it from the dock. Then start the program again, right click, options, keep in dock.

Then close it and try starting it from the dock icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

SEEverist is correct.

The issue is that this is a whole new build and did not replace the previous build. As such, the build you see in your Dock is linked to the previous build, which apparently was deleted when you updated (there is a checkbox option for this).

By starting the new Bridge from the Applications folder, you are starting the new version. Then as stated, just move the new Bridge icon to a choice spot on your Dock, and it will remain. Subsequent clicks with always start up this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing it from the dock. Then start the program again, right click, options, keep in dock.

Then close it and try starting it from the dock icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SEEverist is correct.

The issue is that this is a whole new build and did not replace the previous build. As such, the build you see in your Dock is linked to the previous build, which apparently was deleted when you updated (there is a checkbox option for this).

By starting the new Bridge from the Applications folder, you are starting the new version. Then as stated, just move the new Bridge icon to a choice spot on your Dock, and it will remain. Subsequent clicks with always start up this build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive now come back to my mac and its back to as it was before, even though I have removed the icon from the dock several times and started Bridge from the applications folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nikonuser70 I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your statement. 

Are you saying that after starting Bridge from the Applications Folder, when you click on the NEW Bridge icon in the Dock, it is not opening the New Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed the icon from my dock several times, then opened Br2023 from the applications. The icon reappears and there is a dot as per screen shot attached. But when I come out of bridge the icon remains but the dot disappears. Now whilst yes Br will open again from the icon, it jumps up and down and slowly opens. Whereas the Ps which has the dot as per the screenshot, opens quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow - I see what you're saying. On Macs, if you hit the X to close the application it only closes it but doesn't quit the application. However, in Bridge, if you close the application using the X, it's actually quitting it and the dot goes away. Then it needs a full restart of the application. I never do that, but it happened to me, too, when I tested it. Then it hung upon reopening and I had to force quit it.

And when I used the X on PS 2023, it acted as normal. It just closed PS, but it didn't quit PS (dot still there and it opened right up).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This anomaly is the same on Lightroom, but I raely use Lr, so its not such a nuisance. On the basis photoshop works and the dot stays inplace, I fail to see why a weak here or there could not put this back to how it was before Br 2023.

Anyway I do appreciate your effort and time, apologies for not explaining myself the first time.

Bryan in the Uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nikonuser70 .The "dot" in the Dock simply let's you know what applications are open. The "question mark" that I'm also seeing in your screenshot is showing that an icon to which the application that it went to was removed on your computer so the icon has no idea what application it went to. If you right-click on that question mark you'll see "Options," and if you continue on that it will lead you to "Remove from Dock."

But the fact that the Bridge icon has a "dot" underneath it, indicates that Bridge is currently open on your computer.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply. It does the same thing to me when I X out of Bridge (but not PS). I don't use applications this way, generally, so I wouldn't have noticed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SEEverist 

You read my response to Nikonuser70. What YOU are observing is the fact that Bridge has become a one-window application. When you close the window, the application quits. Of all the bugs and changes in the new Bridge, this one is probably the most hated.

As a single display user, I have to say that this change has not affected me in any way. However, it seems that for those with multiple displays, this has dramatically affected their workflow. I do hope that Adobe will be able to bring back multiple windows and also keep the new multiple Content Panels. Time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gary_sc I thought that was a Mac OS thing, not the application manufacturers, to not quit a program by closing the window. I'm just used to either minimizing, letting it sit behind other windows, or CMD-Q to quit applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SEEverist Sure, you can minimize, use other applications (so it is hid behind other applications, or quit as so desired.

As I do not use Windows myself, I have no idea what or how the dynamics of their applications work. On the Mac, most applications have multi-window options but if they do not have that, then when the only window is closed, there's no option for the application to do anything but quit as well. Unfortunately, Bridge was converted to that during the multi-Content Panel change.

What you are doing is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some Mac apps close when the window is closed and some remain open, its been like this for decades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But both Br and Ps have always been one click away in the dock, until Br 2023 !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They still are if you do what folks here are recommending you to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question mark is for Beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question mark is for where the beta version WAS. It represents a broken link to the application it was aimed at. As I stated earlier, if you right-click on that question mark, go up to Options, one of them is Remove from Dock. That will remove that question mark from your Dock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, all sorted now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines