• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge can't interact with directories containing a question mark

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This took me quite a while to figure out, but Bridge 11 seems to have serious problems dealing with any directories that have a question mark in their name. If you try to open such a directory by dragging it onto Bridge, it does nothing. If you manually navigate to the directory and try to open a file, it does nothing.

I'm using:

* MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

* Adobe Bridge 11.0.1.109

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because the Mac OS and Window's OS both cannot use "illegal characters" in file names, folder names, etc.

? / . * are amongst them.

Here's more info:

https://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/websites/writing/characters-avoid/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gary_sc That's not true. The only characters you can't use for directories in MacOS are : and /. I've been using question marks in directories for years and it's not a problem for any other program. (It also worked fine with Adobe Bridge until recently.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its generally a bad idea to use question marks and with Bridge being cross-pllatform, I'm not surprised. Just change those folder names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bad idea to use question marks???! I'm trying to report a bug that likely affects thousands of users and y'all are telling me I just need to stop using question marks? Even though MacOS has supported question marks in directory names since its inception? Even though all other programs for MacOS (even cross-platform ones) are fine with question marks? Do you think I should stop using lowercase letters as well? I hear some older computer systems don't support them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have said that even if Adobe wasn't involved. But hey you do you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got the same problem. In my workflow it just makes sense to use question marks. I have used Bridge like that for years and now there s no solution to that?

Please Adobe react!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question mark is an illegal character for Windows filenames. Since Bridge is cross-platform, its not surprise that it isn't supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Mac. And it has been working for years ... until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac user by choice as well, but Bridge has a common codebase which is used with both the Mac and Windows versions. What happens on one platform can have effects on the other, we saw this with the whole Photoshop Save As debacle where a change on the Mac had ripple effects on the Windows version.

I don't know if its been working for years, but as I said I'm not surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works just fine here.

Big Slur 11.2.3

Adobe Bridge 11.0.1.109

Could be a OS issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered the same problem today. If there is a question mark in the folder name, Bridge is unable to find photos within it by searching metadata, and changing the metadata causes thumbnails to turn blank (white), and other weirdness. Even if question marks are not allowed, Bridge should inform the user rather than just failing to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! If Bridge would've just told me that I couldn't use "?" in my file or folder name I would have saved a lot of time trying to figure out why my workflow didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are very, very, very few applications* that do point that out. I do know that FileMaker Pro will not let you use a hyphen in a calculation, but that's a calculation, not a name. (To get around that limitation, I use an "n" dash.)

*In reality, I do not know ANY application that does; I'm just giving myself an out if someone says that XXX does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe that's because most applications accept the same file names as their OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines