Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Bridge Crash

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was processing my images in bridge/camera raw, 130 from more than 300 (using filter) and suddenly the application crashed. The result was that all NEF files disappeared from the folder in my disk and the 130 files filtered appear as xmp. I am working on a Mac pro and no longer have the original files in my camera SD disk. The info in bridge mention no items to show, 131 files hidden. When I try to look in my disk for hidden files two folders appear, .BridgeLabelsAndRatings and .BridgeSort but both blank white. Any help on what happened and ways to hopefully get the originals again? thanks Rui

TOPICS
Camera RAW , Crash or freeze , How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're saying becuase Bridge doesn't do much of anything with your files. Were you working in ACR? Did you have all 130 files open in ACR at the same time?

Also, you talk about the files on your desktop but then mention that they are not on the camera's SD disk. Were you working on the images on the card or had they been transferred to your computer? IF you transferred the images to your computer, how did you do that? If you used Photo Downloader, do NOT, ever click on the option "Delete images after transfer." Never ever! Transfer the images, wait until you have at least two copies and then delete. Meanwhile there are a variety of file recovery software that you can use to try to recover the files.

How are you searching for the images? Have you done a search for all images with the creation date? There's NO WAY that Bridge or ACR could make your images invisible files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have already spoken with a colleague of mine
which also finds very strange what happened.

I have copied the files directly from the SD disk to my desktop. Probably
not the best way but have done so in the past 6 years with no problem.

I was working with ACR but opening one file at a time. In bridge I had a
filter on. In reality the crash happened when I was working in a photo on
ACR. After opening bridge again after sending the report to Adobe all the
NEF’s were gone!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to restart the computer? If so, what happened to the images?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did. The folder has only xmp files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on a Mac OS?  You could use time machine backup.

No files are present in your file manager?

If you are a windows OS can you go into administrator tools/event viewer/applications/ and find the crash report.

Copy it and post here.

I have a feeling your files are there, but the OS is preventing you from seeing them.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Mac OS and i didn't backed up the files using time machine.

Is there a way to find the report in Mac? In the original folder i have only 131 xmp files from the 300 that i've copied there. Those are the files i was working on ACR through a filter.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, what do you mean by "Those are the files i was working on ACR through a filter."

What filter?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

In bridge i made a filter to work only 131 from the 300 in the original folder. Those 131 appear in the original folder as xmp, the other ones just vanished.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now I understand.

The reason why there were only 131 XMP files is that those are created when you work on a raw file. If you do not work on the raw file, they are not generated.

Just a thought, is there ANY chance you were working on Aliases of the files and not the actual files?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied directly from SD Disk to a folder at Desktop. And from bridge I opened the files from that desktop folder.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still don't get the "i made a filter" thing you said you were using.

"Filter things" don't work and are not supported in Bridge.

Obviously what ever you were using, doing; screwed the pooch with your files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rui, I have had Bridge crashes of late too.  I found this article on Adobe's website after searching for Graphics Acceleration.  I discovered that my Adobe Camera RAW Preferences were saying my system was not capable of Graphics Acceleration which was nonsense.  My GPU is an Nvidia Geoforce GTX1070 with 8GB of RAM.  This article explaied for me why I was having crashes.  There is a little land-mine that Adobe inserts into it's programs.  See section 6 where it talks about TempDisable of GPU's.  You actually need to remove that because everytime Bridge or PS load, that error stops the programs from checking your GPU Acceleration.  My system now doesn't crash anymore, but it is still slow generating previews in Bridge.  By the way, I understand what you meant about filters too.  You're using the filter panel, right?   Anyway here's the link to the Adobe Article:

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your email! I will have a look at the article you mentioned.

As you say also in my case the previews also take a long time to generate.
Regarding the filter, yes i am using the panel after ranking the images
also on Bridge.

Meanwhile with a rescue software I have managed to restore 323 out of 331
from my SD Disk.

Cheers,

Rui

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, He was talking about this filter

2021-01-06_14-52-05.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines