• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge deleted file extension, how to undo/restore?

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

I just ran a batch rename for about 600 images. they renamed correctly, however Bridge deleted the file extension. CNTL+Z did not undo. Any one have ideas why this happened? I duplicated a folder of images and tried to rename those. The same thing happened. This has to be a bug or setting.

TOPICS
Batch , Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bridge usually makes it hard to remove the filename extension and you generally have to set it up to actually explicitly remove the extension.

You are best remembering to check the "Preserve current filename in XMP metadata" before renaming... Or renaming with the copy to other folder option so that the original filenames can be recovered.

Can you share a screenshot of your Batch Rename settings that caused this issue?

If all of the images were the same file format (all TIFF, or all JPEG etc), then you can batch rename as illustrated here:

rename.png

Otherwise, you may have to work out which files are the same format and rename in smaller groups with the correct extension.

If you have a large group of files which are all different filetypes, then I would recommend using the CLI based ExifTool program to automatically work out which is which:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/09/exiftool-automatically-adding-missing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines