Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge doesn't open any Illustrator files automatically

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since yesterday, my Bridge isn't able to open any Adobe illustraor, PDF and EPS files with "enter" button or by clicking on the file icon. The message error : The document "(...)" could not be opened. AIRobin cannot open files in the "Adobe Illustrator document" format.

Bridge 2020 - V10.0.1.126

Illustrator 2020 - V24.0.1

Mac mini 2014 OS High Sierra V10.13.6

It's a bit frustrating !

Thank you by the way

Adrien

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Hi Betaladrien,

Can you go into your Preferences and see what is shown in the File Type Associations? Go to those applications and see if they are correctly pointing to the correct applications. 

Also, you might need to rebuilt Bridge's Preferences, follow these instrucations if you want to do that.

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2009/10/resetting_bridges_preferences.html

Let us know the results,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just can "drop and drag" icon in the AI dock to open the files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Betaladrien,

Can you go into your Preferences and see what is shown in the File Type Associations? Go to those applications and see if they are correctly pointing to the correct applications. 

Also, you might need to rebuilt Bridge's Preferences, follow these instrucations if you want to do that.

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2009/10/resetting_bridges_preferences.html

Let us know the results,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your answer

I checked Preferences and actually "AIRobin.0.1" was selected for Adobe Illustrator, EPS files...

It's succefully fixed !

I just don't know why these parameters have changed - everything was OK 3 days before

Thank you again

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Betaladrien,

It's hard to say. When you consider how much is going on to the computer, on the computer, within the computer every day that we used it, lots of things can go wrong without us doing anything specific. 

The thing that puzzles me are: if you consider the number of times we do discover these anomalies, how many other anomalies happen that we are unaware of until they bite us down below. ;>)

Have a good rest of the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same thing start just a few days ago. I fixed the setting in my preferences, and now I can double click and the file will open in Illustrator, but if I select the file and right click and choose to open the file in Illustrator I still get the can't open message... Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an annoying bug that the Bridge developers didn't give Illustrator a default preference to open a file, but thankfully, the problem is so widespread, it was easy to Google for the culprit and the fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blog post link noted above no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened again yesterday, May 17, 2022. -- This is a repetitive issue with Bridge updates. Obviously, it is either a bug with the code or a problem with the update process. Adobe needs to fix this permanently. As it is, one doesn't know from one day to the next if you will be unable to follow established workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did follow the suggestions noted in the solution here and was able to resolve the issue, but is shouldn't be necessary to update existing preferences whenever the app updates. Second, in the File Type Association for .eps files and .ai files, Bridge preferences showed "Explorer setting," meaning whatever setting Microsoft Explorer shows for that type of file. I looked at my Explorer settings and I had already indicate the preference for .eps and .ai files to be opened by Adobe Illustrator. Apparently, the Bridge update wasn't / isn't allowing adequate communication with Explorer. I had to go back to Bridge preferences and indicate Adobe Illustrator 2022 to get Bridge to open either .eps or .ai files in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines