• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge hangs / crashes on PDF's

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update causes problems with folders (indexing) containing PDF's.

It seems that Bridge is not capable of indexing the folders. When opening a folder (containing these PDF's) it seems to take hours to create the previews but nothing happens, even after hours.

I have to force quit the application but when I give it a new try, it opens the same folder and hangs again.

I have to start up renewing preferences (and then get the old preferences again) and then it works.

Untill I open a folder containing PDF's 😞

Hopefully there will be an update off the update soon!

Cheers, Peter

MacOs Mojave 10.14.6

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

what's the size of these PDFs and what's your pc ram? Can they interfere with the speed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Floramc!

Thx for looking into this.

I have a macpro (old machine but containing new hardware) with 16 Gb RAM. The crash-causing folder consists of 35 files average 2 or 3 mb per PDF. One of 4 mb.

So I would think that it is not a hardware problem....

Cheers, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try opening and resaving those files in Acrobat?

Then check them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the tip!

Executed but crashing again. (I only encountered a small font problem in one of the files)

😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi back!

You are right, it should not be a hardware problem, and the files are not big enough to cause crashes. Have you tried purging cashes? The option is in Preferences and then caches management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes. I tried all the possible solutions I read here. (Three at startup: cache, prefs and workspaces). And also the one you suggest.

I even uninstalled Bridge and reinstalled, but the problem stays.

😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening each pdf file in acrobat and re-saving them.

You could have a corrupt pdf file.

If nothing else stick one file in the folder at time and try accessing the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer is above. It didn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear: the correct answer hasn't been given yet. The problem persists, NOT solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen if you index a folder with just one pdf? And where are these files stored, locally or on a network, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your questions:

As I said it happens with a folder of 35 pdf's and these files are stored on an internal HD.

cheers, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen with just one pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I would try the halves rule, try it with half the files, see which half causes problems, keep eliminating half until you isolate the one or more that cause a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Halves rule executed but without a good result.

I also moved every PDF, one by one, to a new folder (in the finder) while having Bridge opened with the new folder. I could see that there was a preview generated fot each new moved PDF. After having done that for the whole bunch everything looks okay. When moving this new folder to a new place and opening it in Bridge, there's a crash again. Als closing Bridge, with the new folder working, and restarting, opening the new folder, results in a crash...

😕 Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok maybe post a crash report. Otherwise, its gonna have to be Adobe that figures this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to see if the folder permissions changed when you moved the folder to a different location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No change at all! Permissions are okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines