• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge in Windows "pretends" to open Ai files but does nothing.

Explorer ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge has never really worked well for me, a great idea but the stability has always been pretty hopeless, but as well as crashing frequently on both Mac and PC, I have a new issue.

In Windos 10, I can see the AI file I want to work on, I can label it as approved etc in bridge, but tyro to double click to open it and it proudly shows me a blank Illustrator window, no file opens. Currently installing an older version, at least 8 could open a file - pretty basic functionality to be missing.

Anyone else getting this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SdeSaulles,

That shouldn't be happening as Bridge is not opening . AI files in Adobe After Effects. Let us help make it right.

Which version of Bridge are you using? If you're using Bridge CC, download the latest Bridge update by going to Help > Updates

Also, check that you are using the most recent version of After Effects: Update apps to the latest release of Adobe Creative Cloud

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, but not sure I understand.

Totally agree it shouldn't be happening, but after that..

You say "that should not be happening as Bridge is not opening" - but Bridge is already open, it is the Adobe Illustrator file that does not open, regardless whether Illustrator is already running or not.

I am using the latest version of Bridge (9.0.3.279). I also tried downloading the previous version, 8, that worked better, can open some AI files, but still unreliable/problematic - seems random as to when it fails.

Then, not sure what After Effects has got to do with my issue, I didn't mention it.  I am using the latest version of Illustrator though.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen and Niels,

Have you tried restoring the app's preferences to default? See Troubleshoot Adobe Bridge for freezes and performance issues

Let us know how it goes.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Akash,

Thanks for that, yes, that will make it work again for a little while, but having to discard all favourites, settings etc rather undermines the whole point of "bridge".

You have to rebuild all the "bridges" you've put in place, after you've done that a few times it becomes a bit of a mute point whether the time spent nursing such a crashy app along is worth spending , compared with just using the finder, accepting its limitations, but at least it generally works reliably.

I have just done that, I will report back how long it lasts.

Thanks

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! Double-click on .ai file in Bridge, Illustrator fires up … but with no file open. The file name / thumbnail are shown in the "last opened" splash screen, but that's not really good enough.

• Illustrator 23.0.3 (64 bit)
  • Bridge 9.0.3.279 x64

Niels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines