• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge is turning my folder invisible!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder tree full of sorted pictures.  After I updated to Catalina, I also installed Bridge 10.  When I open the folders with Bridge, it turns the top folder invisible.  Not only that, the navigation goes all to hell, drag and drop stops working, and "move to" moves items to the wrong folders!  I have tried:

• Creating a new folder with a new name and putting the files in there.
  • Deleting the invisible ".Bridgesort" files.
  • Resetting Bridge.
  • Reinstalling Bridge.
  • Updating Bridge

I can't recreate the problem without Bridge being involved, so it seems like this is Adobe's fault. Bridge will not stop turning my folder invisible.  What is going on here?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beckerwood,

One real quicky question: you show you named the folder ".Bridgesort"

What happens if you name the folder "Bridgesort" without the period?

Both Periods (.) and slashes (/) are very bad things to use in names. Hyphens (-) and Underscores (_) are much better separators (besides the simple Space ( )).

Let us know,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't rename the file which turned invisible ".bridgesort".  The file which turned invisible was called "Paul".  At first I thought it had been deleted.  However, when I searched in spotlight I still saw the files inside it. Then, I pressed command-shift-period to reveal invisible files.  There was "Paul".  I created a new folder called "Gary", put all the contents of Paul inside Gary, and deleted Paul. After some more experimenting, Bridge turned Gary invisible too.  Somewhere in there I started noticing that Bridge was leaving behind invisible files in many of my folders called ".bridgesort".  If I delete them and then revisit the folders with Bridge, Bridge will create new ones.  I assume that they are supposed to make Bridge faster or remember preferences or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folder permissions are a HUGE issue with Catalina.

The latest Bridge update combined with Catalina's issues is driving people nuts.

Try creating the folder again and then go into the OS preferences under security and make sure Bridge has access to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Is this an internal or external drive, and how is it formatted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the attention.

It's an internal sata disc drive formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Guid Partition Map, SMART status verified. The permissions of this drive are:

Me: Read and Write

staff: Read and Write

everyone: Read only

Ignore ownership on this volume is checked.

I'm very confused about permissions and worry about messing with them, but I just upgraded my computer and transfered all my files (photos, documents, and movies) from the drive from the old computer to the new hdd.  I immediately ran into permissions problems which I tried to solve by checking the "Ignore ownership" box.  I also tried to change some of the folders to allow me to open them by making them shared, giving read and write acces to "everyone" and hitting "apply to enclosed items".  I did that with the "Paul" folder, so it says:

Shared folder (checked)

Me: Read and Write

staff: Read and Write

everyone: Read and Write

All  of that was "applied to enclosed items" (which are pictures)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folders are becoming invisible in the Finder or just Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the finder.  It's visible in Bridge, but Bridge starts behaving extremely erratically as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge doesn't have a feature to turn visbility on and off. The problem you are having is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a feature!  It's a bug!  And it ONLY happens when I try to use ADOBE BRIDGE!  And I don't know how to reverse it other than to trash and replace the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen any other reports of this and Bridge can't toggle the invisibility bit. Unless you are adding a dot in front of the folder name, Bridge CAN'T make folders invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the problem.  The folder ONLY turns invisible after I use Bridge.  How can I turn it permanently visible again?  I keep making new folders and moving in the contents, but then it breaks all my Aliases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have some other problem. Bridge cannot hide files or folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beckerwood,

We do not work for Adobe, we are users, such as yourself, who help others.

In the years I've been folowing these questions and events, this is a new one. I understand how it does seem like this should be classified as a bug but no bug on earth can be fixed unless it can be repeated by someone else, especially the engineers who are going to fix the bugs.

In my earlier response to you, you mention that something is creating folders called ".Bridgesort". I just did a search on this and yes, it is a file created by Bridge for sorting files.

I got that from here: https://filext.com/file-extension/BRIDGESORT

the thing that's stumping me is that I've gone all over my hard drive and external drives and cannot find any file called .Bridgesort" and yes I'm looking at and for invisible files. If anything, I'm findging a folder called ".indelible-info" which is updated if I change the sort order but contains another folder with a long number and then another file called "files" both of which are dated the date I created and filled the folder.

What is the process that you do that seems to generate the .Bridgesoft folder/file?

I'm willing to try to help you through this but understand that I'm still using Mojave because I use an application that I'm not ready to leave if I were to move up to Catalina. Thus, our milage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ".BridgeSort" files are in every photo folder I've used Bridge with in which I've manually changed the order of the photos.

I've learned that I can make the invisible folder visible again by entering the terminal and typing:

setfile -a v , then dragging the invisible folder over for the path, then pressing return.

As soon as I open the folder with Bridge, it becomes invisible again.

Bridge also has trouble navigating within the folder.

The "move to" function dumps files in the wrong places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you run Disk Utility to check for errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines