• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge messing up file extensions on batch rename

Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experienced a situation where Bridge messed up some, but not all, file extensions during a batch rename. It's similar to some other threads I found, but different enough that I thought I'd start a new one.

I have a folder with about 175 items. There are CR2 and JPEG files from two cameras, and HEIC files from an iPhone. When I did the batch rename, several, but nowhere near all, of the CR2 files, and a couple of JPEGs, got assigned the HEIC file extension. And some of the HEIC files were given the CR2 extension. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. As you can see from one of the screenshots, consecutive RAW files were given different extensions. My rename setup did not involve altering the extension at all. On top of all of that, about 8 files did not get renamed at all.

Now, I can't undo the batch rename, and will have to take a great deal of time going through and fixing them. Anyone else have this problem, or know a remedy?

TOPICS
Batch , Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, forgot specs: MacOS Monterey 12.2 on an Intel-based MacBook Pro, Bridge 12.0.1.246.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Erik5ECA – The following ExifTool command can batch fix missing or incorrect extensions:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/09/exiftool-automatically-adding-missing.html

P.S. If you tick the "preserve filename in XMP" checkbox when renaming, then you can easily restore the original filename if something goes wrong. Also use the preview button to preview all files being renamed, don't just rely on the single file preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines