• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge not allowing me to label images

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually a PC user.  Just got a new iMac for Christmas.  I installed CC and have installed Bridge 2020.  It will not allow me to label images.  My images I am working with are on my WD external drive.  I can't label using the shortcut or with the label menu in the toolbar.   How do I fix this??

TIA, 

Rebecca

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

And needless to say, back up any files before formatting or they will be lost.

FWIW, I have two 4 TB drives. One contains all of my images and data files while the 2nd is a backup of the first. I do the back up at least once a week or after a large ingestion of new images. You should never have all of your files on a single drive as there are two kinds of computer users: those who've had a hard drive fail and those who've not had a hard drive fail yet.

Let us know how things work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Plug in the new drive, and immediately use Disk Utility to reformat it as HFS Extended or APFS.

Then copy files using the Finder from old to new drive. This is a good chance to clean out unused old files and look at your organization.

Once you have everything copied over, you can setup a backup/sync program if you want. ChronoSync, SuperDuper, FreeFileSync, and others are available. Time Machine will backup your internal hard drive if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca

Welcome to the Mac!

Unfortunately you came into the Mac-verse at just the wrong time. Your new OS, Catalina, has been a bit of a nightmare for many, application developers and users alike. I've been with the Mac since 1985 and I've never seen this much chaos. The good news is that things will settle down.

Now one quick question for you: this WD external drive, was it the same one you were using with your PC or have you reformatted it to work more effecienlty with your Mac. [Info: the Mac can read a PC disk but that formatting is not efficient for the Mac. But a Mac formatted disk cannot be read by a PC. Because of this I keep two different sets of flash drives: those that I wish to share with PCs and those that I do not need to.]

To continue...

Becuase I was aware that Catalina was going to cause some disruption in the beginning, I'm still using Mojave, the previous OS so I have not personally been hit by the issue that you have but I have read upon it. What Apple has done is to protect against viruses from accessing things that they should not have access to, but you can. 

From Apple: (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-external-storage-devices-with-mac-mchl027f1d66/mac)

If you don’t have permission to view or work with files on a storage device

• If you are not the administrator of the Mac, ask the administrator to give you access to the files you need.

• If you are the administrator of the Mac, do one of the following.

• Authenticate as an administrator user: Depending on how you’re attempting to access the file, you may need to authenticate as an administrator user.

• Change Sharing & Permissions settings for the file: For instructions, see Use file sharing.

Please give me a bit more information and I'll continue to see if I can help you.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, there are problems using a PC-formatted (ExFAT) drive on Catalina. Reformat it to HFS Extended or APFS (Mac file systems) and it should work. Also, be sure to set full disk permissions for Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And needless to say, back up any files before formatting or they will be lost.

FWIW, I have two 4 TB drives. One contains all of my images and data files while the 2nd is a backup of the first. I do the back up at least once a week or after a large ingestion of new images. You should never have all of your files on a single drive as there are two kinds of computer users: those who've had a hard drive fail and those who've not had a hard drive fail yet.

Let us know how things work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help with my problem!

Also, I picked up a new 4TB external drive yesterday and I can get another one soon.  Once I get the second one, how do you recommend I backup data from one hard drive to the other?  I do not have a good backup system in place at all and would love to get a good system set up!

Thanks again!

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug in the new drive, and immediately use Disk Utility to reformat it as HFS Extended or APFS.

Then copy files using the Finder from old to new drive. This is a good chance to clean out unused old files and look at your organization.

Once you have everything copied over, you can setup a backup/sync program if you want. ChronoSync, SuperDuper, FreeFileSync, and others are available. Time Machine will backup your internal hard drive if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I just checked and I am running Mojave as well!  I did set up my new external drive and formatted it as APFS.  I just moved some photos onto it from an SD card.  These photos were taken with my Canon EOS-R.  The good news is Bridge is allowing me to rate my images now!   The bad news is when I double click my image in Bridge to open it, Photoshop says it does not recognize my file type!  (I'm using Photoshop 21.0.2 on Creative Cloud)

- Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca,

Just a quick support shout for Chronosync. I've used it for more years than I can remember. Among it's virtues is that once you buy it, that's it. I've never had to pay for any upgrades EVER. The guy who writes the program has always had quick answers to any questions I've had and is very open to suggestions. From a user standpoint, Chronosync does bit-counting so if there's an error when copying data, it will let you know. In addition there are many different permutations of how you want your data copied. For example, I want a "mirror" of my primary drive. That means that if I delete a file, it gets deleted in the 2nd drive. If you want everything saved, it will put the tossed files in an "archive" folder so they are never lossed. That and many other ways to get exactly what you want. And once you figure out what you want, you can save that so that all you have to do is to call up the saved "Save" and run it. 

Now, onto your latest issue (computers sure make our lives easier don't they). Are the images raw images from the camera or have you converted them to DNG images (or are they jpeg images)? Also, what happens if you right-click and ask to open the images in Adobe Camera Raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update!  I got Adobe on the phone and after some trial and error, he remoted in, reinstalled ACR and it worked!  Not sure what the issue actually was. Thanks for your reply and for letting me know about Chronosync.  I will check it out!

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is incorrectly marked as Solved. It isn't.

The OP asked about problems labelling or adding metadata to images via Bridge. I have seen many posts with this issue, and more often than not, they involve files stored on a NAS, and I have not seen any solutions.

We had a similar issue, and it turned out it was caused by my user moving the raws directly to the NAS and not putting them on the Mac first to do the initial work. This somehow messes up the permissions irreparably.

To solve .. SAVE AS a copy of each image directly to the Mac. Then you can stick them on the NAS and change the labels with no issues.

In summary don't offload straight to NAS. Offload to Mac and then move to NAS if you need to.\

I hope this helps someone because I just lost half a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't support network volumes, and we have seen a lot of problems with NAS. Its always good practice to check with the NAS vendor about limitations and firmware updates. Just don't expect a NAS device to work perfectly with Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NAS systems are ubiquitous and widely used for this purpose wether Adobe supports them or not. Most will be perfectly fine as long as they process the image on a Mac or PC before moving it to the NAS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't change the fact that they are also widely problematic and prone to odd failures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not widely problematic, would you care to susbstantiate this claim? I can't recall every having had a problem in the last 10 years plus of this nature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just posted about a problem you are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, so you equate a singular case of adobe bridge struggling to write metadata as 'widely problematic' ? A bit of a stretch?

Mate, I am just here trying to provide the answers to the original questions, it will likely help someone progress quicker with their day. We live in a cross-platform world. We can't wrap ourselves in cotton wool. There isn't an apple product for every business use case scenario.

Sometimes there can be glitches, as proven above, they are perfectly solvable. A NAS is essentially just a linux server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has gotten off-topic. And yes I've heard of Linux. SMDH 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines