• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge Photo Downloader does not retain settings

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photo Downloader used to retain the settings from the last time it was used. Now, it goes to the default settings and new settings including copyright have to be put in every time it is used.

Is there a way to get the Photo Downloader to retain settings again?

I'm using Adobe Bridge CC 2019 ver. 9.0.2.219

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Soooo...I'm not a code propellerhead, but I decided to do some detective work based upon what's happened before.

Before I divulge, here's what I did to get preferences back (note this is for Windows 10; I can't speak on how to do it for Mac but I'm sure someone can pipe in on where the location is):

On Windows 10, in Windows Explorer, go to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

(If you don't see it, the AppData folder is hidden by default, because companies like Microsoft don't think you should

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

I am running Windows 10 Pro (1909.18363.535) and using Adobe Bridge CC 2020 (10.0.1.126).

I too was having a problem with my settings not saving, and though I tried both proposed suggestions (creating folder within user profile) I found that I was able to solve it with a quicker solution, just lauch the application once with "run as administrator".  Even though I am the only profile on my machine with UAC turned off, things still need admin elevated permissions if you are not using the built in A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not helpful for Mac users.  should it be assumed you mean the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Bridge CC2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave and Adobe Bridge 2021 Version 11.1.4 and the downloader isn't retaining settings. The folder path is Library/Application Support/Adobe/

I created a subfolder Bridge CC 2019 and it's not working.

What is the correct folder name?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of Bridge. It’s free to do so. That will ceratinly solve your problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10 Pro (1909.18363.535) and using Adobe Bridge CC 2020 (10.0.1.126).

I too was having a problem with my settings not saving, and though I tried both proposed suggestions (creating folder within user profile) I found that I was able to solve it with a quicker solution, just lauch the application once with "run as administrator".  Even though I am the only profile on my machine with UAC turned off, things still need admin elevated permissions if you are not using the built in Administrator account.  (yes, even if your user is in the local admins group, Administrator is still top dog, like root user.)

As soon as I did this and created the settings i wanted (mainly my preferred import to directory), I was able to auto play the application with my next media card insert and not have any problems. 

Path to exe, C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge 2020\photodownloader\Photodownloader.exe

Good luck, Happy New Year!

-dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update broke it again. Unable to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Rainmand but I just tried with the newest version (Photodownloader 8.0.0.266635 / Adobe Bridge 10.0.3.138) using the solution I gave on Dec 31st and it still worked.  I was able to change the target import settings as well as ass a few other settings (not to open in bridge & to convert to DNG) and those settings were already configured the next time I opened up Adobe bridge.  I even restarted my pc to see if it was a "session" thing.  

Good luck in trying to troubleshoot where the issue may be on your pc.  

-dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave.Carrio.  Okay so I followed your instructions. I went to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge 2020\photodownloader\Photodownloader.exe, right clicked and ran as administrator.  I selected the location and saved an image.  Removed the sd card and put it back in and Adobe Bridge Downloader open with my last location saved.  Well I will try this with another sd card and see if it continues to work. Fingures crossed.  Update: loaded a different sd card and Adobe Bridge Photo Downloader open with my last location saved.  Now to wait and see what happens the next time Adobe Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU FOR THIS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re so welcome!

r.

Rick Burress
Artistec, Inc.

"...Software for your Brain."

Solving computer graphics issues
with training, consulting, seminars
and workshops.

rick@artistec.com
(602) 332-1300
www.artistec.com

Follow on instagram: rickburress

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And with the new Version 12.0.1 the problem reappears. 

I just started Bridge 2021 with "run as administrator" and now it retained the configuration of the photo downloader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Bridge CC 2020, so just a shot in the dark.... I followed the solution offered by Warunicorn , except I made the new folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CC 2019 and that worked perfectly! It's weird how thier naming convention is behind consistently by one year. I also tried adding Bridge CC 2020 and that didnt do it. Really strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS @Warunicorn!  That worked but with a tweak....

It is now April 2020 and a slight change is necessary  - create the folder as described by  above, but name it "Bridge CC 2019" (with the spaces and no quotes) That will work for Bridge CC 2020 v 10.0.4.157 in Windows 10.

After creating the folder, open Bridge Photo Downloader change the settings download a photo, then  shut down Bridge. Next time you use Photo Downloader it should show the settings you previously set. You can check that folder and the APDPreferences.xml file is created in the empty Bridge CC 2019 folder you made earlier.

It seems that the Photo Downloader is the Cinderella of the Adobe CC family. It has never been improved since I started using it probably a gazillion years ago. I suppose they want us all to use Lightroom to ingest photos, but I hate LR !  There are so many ways they could improve the photo downloader - not the least being a way to sort the files on the source. Come on Adobe, wake up! Improve the Photo Downloader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now April 2020 and a slight change is necessary - create the folder as described by above, but name it "Bridge CC 2019" (with the spaces and no quotes) That will work for Bridge CC 2020 v 10.0.4.157 in Windows 10. After creating the folder, open Bridge Photo Downloader change the settings download a photo, then shut down Bridge. Next time you use Photo Downloader it should show the settings you previously set. You can check that folder and the APDPreferences.xml file is created in the empty Bridge CC 2019 folder you made earlier.

This solution worked for me....thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to fix this on Mac? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn´work for me in Bridge 2020 and didn´t work in Bridge 2021
I had to create the new folder named "Bridge 2019" and now it works for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its 2021, and I still see this thread getting updates since my initial response in 2019.  To add to my original answer back in Dec 2019, I am simply making this adjustment,

• Go to where the photoimporter.exe is located at
    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge XXXX\photodownloader\Photodownloader.exe"
    XXXX will be the year of the version you have installed, right now it is 2021
  • Right click on this exe and select "Run this program as an administrator"
  • Click OK
  • If you want a desktop shortcut, right click on exe and Send To Desktop (create shortcut)

Now when you launch the app, and change the settings, the next time you go into the app, those settings will be saved.  When you upgrade your applications, you may have to repeat this process, just adjust the directory nagivation location accordingling.  Ex; next year it will be in Adobe Bridge 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, if I change the Compatibility setting of Photodownloader.exe to force "Run this program as administrator" permanently, then it will not open at all from within Bridge although it will run by directly clicking on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

odd. As I normally run the app as a standalone importer, I just tried it from within Adobe Bridge and your right.  So I ran the same steps to launch Adobe Bridge as admin and now it opens up in Adobe Bridge as well as my dekstop shortcut. 

I also tested to make sure opening from with Bridge, I could change the import settings for 1 import and then have it stick for the 2nd import.  It did!

Thanks Erik,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good news. I will try seeting Bridge to Run as Admin too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick.

Bridge and Photodownloader both set to permanently run as admin - all works perfectly with settings saved as they should be.

Thanks for putting me on the right track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to add that, although this all seems to work fine, I note that the APDPreferences.xml file is still created in Bridge CC 2019 folder even though I am using Bridge 2021!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On both of my machines the file you speak of is located , for me, in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge 2021\photodownloader folder.

Back in 2019 when i had the issue of settings not saving and finding this post, I tried following the original answer given but it didn't work for me  Hence when I figured out running it one time as admin solved my issue, I posted it.  

One other aspect of my machines that may put me different, I tend to every now and then do a full wipe of my OS and install stuff from scratch.  I found that I tend to have less issues when i'm changing applications that I no longer use.  Also when I do the inplace upgrades to the Adobe products through Creative Cloud, I never select to retain the old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variation in systems never ceases to bemuse me.

I checked my C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge 2021\photodownloader folder and the settings file is not present. This location seems obviously where it should reside.

For me its definitely in Bridge CC 2019 Appdata folder.

I tried deleting it then downloading some images and, sure enough, the settings file was recreated in Bridge CC 2019 Appdata folder. I even tried cutting and pasting it into the location where yours lives but that did not work and again it was recreated in the Bridge CC 2019 Appdata folder.

Completely baffling to me how two systems can show such disparity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get this strait.  First locate Bridge 2021 in the file menu, (C:>Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Bridge 2021) Highlight Adobe Bridge xxxx then find the Bridge.exe application.  Right click on Adobe Bridge xxxx  and select properties. Click on the Compatibility Tab and go down and check √ on the "Run this program as asministraor."  Second locate Adobe Bridge xxxx Photodownloader (C:>Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Bridge>photodownloader.) Click on the "photodownloader file">locate the Photodownloader.exe. Right click on the Photodownloader.exc and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility Tab and go down and check √ on the "Run this program as asministraor." I did this once with the photodownloader file but the minute I got a ne update it reverted back.  I will try this and see what happens.  However I have just resolved myself to making sure to save downloaded images to where I want them.  

2021-10-21_13-24-33.jpg2021-10-21_13-22-30.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xodin49,
First, are you using Snagit?  Love that app!

Now to your question, depending how you choose to launch PhotoDownloader, will depend on what you need to do.  I never launch PhotoDownloader from within Adobe Bridge, so when I used to just make  PhotoDownload.exe run as admin, I never had any problems.  It was discovered thanks to Erik that by doing that what I suggested, if you ever wanted to launch PhotoDownloader from within Adobe Brige, it caused the app not to open.  So by changing the Adobe Bridge.exe to run as admin, it allowed Erik to launch PhotoDownloader (within Bridge) without any issues and it retained any settings made within this application.  

Right now on my setup today, I am able to make everything work by simply having the PhotoDownloader.exe file to run as admin (1.png).  Not a shortcut to the file but the file itself.   Then I create a shortcut and the box is automatically checked off (2.png).  This allows me to launch the importer directly and within Bridge with no issues (current version as of today, on a Windows 10 box).

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines