Bridge script: how to select thumbnail by file name

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

maybe i'm too blind to see it. I need something like this pseudo snippet

select(fileName)

but did not find anything like that in the SDK docs. 

Background is that i`m running single image files through scripts and when the resulting image returns i want to do further scripting on it, but the original file is still selected.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Use it when you are in Bridge on the location with a file to be selected:

with(app.document) deselectAll(), select(new Thumbnail(File('/d/someFile.jpg')))

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use it when you are in Bridge on the location with a file to be selected:

with(app.document) deselectAll(), select(new Thumbnail(File('/d/someFile.jpg')))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Of course it works fine in the context i have given you.

But i directly ran into another problem i can't find a solution for.
I'm running a temporary .bat file on the image. What means it's executed in a synchronous way and still working while extendscript is already finished. Means, the .bat needs around 10 seconds and your example code won't find the resulting file. I tried to capture stdout from the bat file for working with callbacks but had no luck. Scratching my head about how to solve that. Maybe you know something?

This is the code is use for generating the batch file: 

function runCMD(cmd) {

var f = new File(Folder.temp.fsName + "/temp.bat");
    f.open("w");
    f.writeln(cmd);
    f.close();
    f.execute()

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you run first, .bat (by extendscript) or my code? Say step by step...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First i run the batch script and then i run your code. Then your script deselects, around 5 seconds later the resulting file appears in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So .bat file executes at its end the .jsx script which selects only 1 file with 5 seconds delay? I guess the 5 seconds delay is because .bat file process takes 5 seconds before run .jsx script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly. That's why i'm trying to find a way to let jsx recognize when the bat is finished.

I tried with eventlister "create". I thought when the file is created that would trigger that event, but it didn't. And i tried to somehow get a result from the bat that i could make use of for a callback function. But i don't know enough about shell script. I read every cmd exe would  stdout. So i tried various methods to read stdout in jsx but i miserably failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you run .bat before .jsx why don't you execute .jsx at last command of .bat script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that even possible? How would i do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jsx.jsx:

#target bridge
alert('Hello!')

bat.bat:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge 2022\Bridge.exe" "D:\jsx.jsx"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah! I tried with

Wscript.exe "C:\Users\Public\Blah\blah.jsx"

But now i got the problem that it prompts a warning for executing bridge script (Win11).

Is there a way to suppress that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a .bat you don't have a warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I indeed do have a warning.

Just to make clear. Your code does not work for me: 

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge 2022\Bridge.exe" "D:\jsx.jsx"

what does work, but prompts the warning is: 

D:\jsx.jsx

Please note the missing quotes. I'm not sure about the syntax here, but i tried every possible way and the second snippet works (with warning)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quotation marks are significant for paths with spaces. Is your latest Br path the same as mine, and did you try with same named .jsx file on D drive? What about targeting Bridge from .jsx script, did you use it?

Additionally in front of .bat file code you can use following part to close .bat once ran:

start "" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use Windows Scripting Host to run Powershell scripts, these are more powerful generally than .bat files. And in Extendscript you use a timed task to check for the file and when it meets your condition, then continue with the processing.

var foo = app.scheduleTask('bar()', 500, true);
bar = function(){
//do stuff
app.cancelTask(foo);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's code I wanted to suggest if the requested method failed. Use false to resign from canceling a task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines