Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge with shared CC libraries as a basic image database

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if Bridge might be a good tool for my project. I'm part of a small team that is using photos in development of a computer-vision product. We regularly have hundreds of new photos that we need to review, tagging them on photographic characteristics that matter for our product (blur, brightness) and on their content (for a simple example, does this image have a dog in it? a cat?). Once we've reviewed the image set, we release it to the computer-vision developers, who run automated tests on it by filtering it to certain subsets or checking how well their software's interpretation matched the human interpretation. Our team is distributed, not at a single site, not with a common file server (other than Dropbox). A couple of people act as image labelers and reviewers, and a couple more pull images for testing.

You'd think there would be great tools for exactly this, and maybe there are, but I haven't found one. Many of them are focused on the act of reviewing a single image, without giving you much in the way of managing your whole library and filtering and browsing it. As an avid Lightroom Classic user and CC subscriber, I thought I might be happier using something from Adobe.

LrC, which is admittedly a little silly to use given that I'm not going to be editing these images at all, has enough capabilities for metadata for my job. I might use it, except that it doesn't support multi-user environments at all, as far as I can tell. I gather that Lightroom (the newer, cloud-focused version) could be used on two computers logged in with the same CC credentials, but it's not truly multi-user either.

I'd never used Bridge, but it seems like it should work, given its support for Creative Cloud shared libraries and support for scripting. After reading its documentation and trying it, I'm having a hard time figuring out if my project is an appropriate use for a CC library. All the examples and documentation are about style-guide "elements" like logos and color palettes that your team will incorporate into their "content"—pretty cool, but I simply (or maybe not so simply) want to use a shared library like I would use an LrC library or a set of filesystem folders to organize, tag, and browse image files. In Bridge, the CC libraries seem to be limited in function, tucked into a pane in the Libraries workspace but not on equal terms with the operations you can do with the folders from your filesystem. While the Preview panel shows the image I select from my Library panel, the Metadata panel remains blank, saying "No files selected," until I select a file in my local filesystem. (See attached screenshot.)

Is there a way to use the CC library, in Bridge or something else, as a truly shared although small and limited-purpose image manager? I hesitate to say "multi-user digital asset manager" because I gather that those tools, like Adobe Experience Manager, are usually meant for much bigger teams and aren't something you can set up yourself and start using in a day.

Thanks,

Wallace

TOPICS
Keywords , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Sounds like you need a real DAM. Bridge is a simple file browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need a real DAM. Bridge is a simple file browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was afraid that was the answer. Thank you, just the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines